Author Topic: Resident Evil 5 -> PC version will ditch G4WL + switch to Steamworks.  (Read 24983 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Resident Evil 5 -> PC version will ditch G4WL + switch to Steamworks.
« on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 03:22:25 PM »
NEW -> 9/8/2014:
Capcom Unity -> Resident Evil 5 PC is ditching G4WL and is being moved over to Steamworks.

ORIGINAL POST:
Here's the Official Trailer for RE5, which is planned for the PS3 and X360, if y'all ain't seen it yet.

Now, Capcom's Keiji Inafune confirmed there will be a PC version, while someone else from Capcom confirmed that it has only been confirmed (so far) for the X360 and PC.

UK videogame Web site Spong recently posted an interview with Capcom's Keiji Inafune in which he makes a curious, matter-of-fact reference to Resident Evil 5 ... on the PC.

"As for Resident Evil 5, all we’ve done is shown the trailer and we’ve been instructed not to say anything more to anybody," Inafune told Spong. "Not just you press guys ... anyone. Other than it is scheduled for release next year on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360."

While the game has previously been announced for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, this would be the first reference -- anywhere -- to Resident Evil 5 making its way to the PC. Destructoid contacted Capcom to clear up any confusion.

"Nope, the game has only been announced for PS3 and Xbox 360," we were told. "Our UK office will be following up with Spong to have this corrected."

So there you have it -- no Resident Evil 5 on the PC has been announced. This doesn't mean, however, that Resident Evil 5 will not be coming to PC. Perhaps Inafune was confused; talking to British people usually involves alcohol, which often makes people say the strangest things. On the other hand, with Capcom's recent success and support of Lost Planet on the PC, we wouldn't rule anything out for the future.
« Last Edit: Monday, September 08, 2014, 03:49:53 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Resident Evil 5 Thread -- Update: PC version will be the primary version.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, June 04, 2008, 01:50:09 PM »
Res Evil 5 will likely come to the PC.

Not only that, but that is the primary of the RE5 game.
All versions of RE5 ported to the consoles will be based off the PC version.

PC Version of Resident Evil 5 Likely
by Chris Faylor Jun 04, 2008 11:05am CST tags: Resident Evil 5
An eventual PC version of Capcom's Resident Evil 5 (PS3, 360) is quite likely, going by comments made by producer Jun Takeuchi and the studio's past history.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Takeuchi revealed that the survival horror title is being primarily developed on the PC and then ported over to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Capcom previously used a similar setup for the development of Devil May Cry 4, which began life as a PS3 exclusive but was eventually moved to Xbox 360 and PC as well.

"By developing [DMC4] on the PC, it's very easy for us to work with the graphics and the gameplay, and see how the game is going to play," DMC4 producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi said of the setup last year. "We're still continuing to develop it on the PC, as well as being able to check how it runs on the 360 and the PS3."

While Capcom has yet to confirm a PC release of Resident Evil 5, the company has been making a greater effort to support the PC across the past year with internally developed ports. This is mostly due to its MT Framework technology, which simplifies multiplatform development.

In fact, the only retail Xbox 360 release Capcom has not ported to the PC thus far is Dead Rising, a zombie-killing Xbox 360 exclusive that arrived in 2006.

The following retail title from Capcom, Lost Planet: Extreme Condition, hit PC months after the Xbox 360 release, with the PC port Devil May Cry 4 due this summer. Nearly all of Capcom's upcoming Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 retail efforts, including Street Fighter IV, Dark Void and Bionic Commando, are slated to hit PC as well.

Resident Evil 5 is expected to hit consoles by March 31, 2009. If a PC version were to be released, it would likely follow the console editions due to the optimization work required to support a number of different hardware configurations.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, June 04, 2008, 04:39:30 PM »
....what?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, June 04, 2008, 04:58:59 PM »
....what?

Yeah, given Capcom being console supporters, I figured that the PC version would be a port of one of the other two versions (PS3 or X360)...

...Not what has been decided -- that the X360 and PS3 versions will be ports of the PC version.

I wonder what led Capcom to decide to make the PC version the main version of RE5.
Maybe they're really trying to get a PC following now.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, June 04, 2008, 05:07:19 PM »
They said why. It is easier for them to develop it for the PC initially, as an in-between for the two consoles. Odds are it's probably better than working on the PS3 or 360 and then trying to port to the other system since the PC is a little more universal. That doesn't make the game more of a PC type game, it's just what they're choosing as the development platform before they try to make it work on whatever they choose to sell it to.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, June 04, 2008, 05:49:39 PM »
So, who is getting it first?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, June 04, 2008, 06:31:41 PM »
Don't know yet.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, June 04, 2008, 06:57:23 PM »
Aren't all games developed on PCs?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, June 04, 2008, 10:05:40 PM »
Aren't all games developed on PCs?
Or Macs.. I think Bungie prefers Macs.

This kinda like feels like a mini victory!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, June 04, 2008, 10:23:12 PM »
This kind of sounds like a mini-lie. Basically, what Scott said, plus how can it be the primary version in any meaningful way if it's not even confirmed?  Primary in the sense that it may have been developed on the PC, but that means jack all, especially considering the level of care that has gone into most Capcom ports in the past.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, June 04, 2008, 10:43:42 PM »
Probably lead platform as in they develop the game and features on a magical PC version of the game and then things get ported and implemented on the console versions.

This probably a allows them quicker development and playtest of features without having to fire up the console dev kits (which may require a burned disc). Seeing as how the PC and 360 version can be pretty much identical, it makes sense.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, June 04, 2008, 11:16:52 PM »
I don't see why you're all so confused about this.  Lead platform makes a huge difference in terms of porting, at least depending on the development method.  This could be a big deal or it could be virtually nothing, but a PC lead *could* very well make a difference.  Perhaps they've decided they've done too many shitty PC ports and figure if they get that stuff done right, or at least as right as they can get it, before moving on, they'll have better success than trying to move in the reverse.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, June 04, 2008, 11:57:43 PM »
I don't see why you're all so confused about this.  Lead platform makes a huge difference in terms of porting, at least depending on the development method.  This could be a big deal or it could be virtually nothing, but a PC lead *could* very well make a difference.  Perhaps they've decided they've done too many shitty PC ports and figure if they get that stuff done right, or at least as right as they can get it, before moving on, they'll have better success than trying to move in the reverse.

Well, the first time I thought there might be a problem with the logic behind the article was when I read this:

In fact, the only retail Xbox 360 release Capcom has not ported to the PC thus far is Dead Rising, a zombie-killing Xbox 360 exclusive that arrived in 2006.

You might as well just come out and say it: In fact, the only retail Xbox 360 release Capcom has ported to the PC thus far is Lost Planet.  Although, all the future releases are a good sign.  Anyways, the confusion arises when one realizes that at no point does the guy even mention a PC version, he mentions developing the game on the unified PC-based MT Framework system they have set up to develop all console games this generation....including the unported Dead Rising and the kind of broken Lost Planet port.

Obviously, I'd love to see an excellent PC port just as much as anyone, but I think they're digging to deep and reading into something that's not there.  We'll get a port, and it'll be better than RE4, but really in order to do any worse than that they'd have to be Konami.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, June 05, 2008, 12:27:35 AM »
I obviously didn't read the article much... was mostly going based on comments.  Anyway...

Upon actually reading it, they're obviously just talking infrastructure here, but that's a big deal these days with the way multiplatform development has changed.  I'm thinking maybe it just isn't a good explanation of the new tools they're using.  Perhaps they've got some kind of setup which is entirely independent of Microsoft's and Sony's tools.  So instead of using those toolsets in conjunction as is getting more common, or using one or the other, they've gone off and gotten their own tools to work with, are building the game with that setup, and will then port from there.  That's all I can think of.

But yeah, given the huge push they've had towards PC stuff (and from what I can tell, DMC4 is at the very least looking promising), whether or not they confirm a PC port of RE5 is sort of irrelevant.  If they're putting everything else on PC, there's little reason to assume that one won't show up as well.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, June 05, 2008, 09:22:59 AM »
That's a good point and you're probably 100% right about that.  I'll just be a bit hesitant to celebrate before DMC4 comes out and I can judge the quality of their ports under their new system on my own.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, June 05, 2008, 06:56:27 PM »
Let's hope your relatively positive experience with the DMC4 demo is an indicator of things to come.  I won't say that I have high hopes, but I'd very much like to see them get some good PC ports out there.  Really, there's a good chance that I'd play them.  Especially with Dead Rising 2.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, June 05, 2008, 10:58:41 PM »
I'm all over the Capcom ports now. I take back ALMOST everything I said previously.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2009, 03:48:21 PM »
Wish I could care. The game looks good and I really like the coop idea but the control scheme is too f*cked up. I can't play this game. The only way I'll consider it is if the PC version has mouse aiming.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2009, 03:50:44 PM »
If RE5 PC don't have mouse-aiming, my X360 controller will be ready...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2009, 04:26:41 PM »
If RE5 PC don't have mouse-aiming, my X360 controller will be ready...
Still not good enough for me. I tried the demo on PS3 and the controls were just too wonky for me. The Capcom RE team are trying to pass it off as part of what a RE game is, but really it's just a combination of bad design choice and lazy.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Resident Evil 5 -- Update: X360 version already pirated on Torrents (Reply 17)
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, March 04, 2009, 05:32:48 PM »
Is this resurrection day on OW, D?

I agree completely, Xessive.  I'd only play this game if it were free.  But my 360 doesn't do piracy at this time, and probably never will.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Resident Evil 5 -- Update: X360 version already pirated on Torrents (Reply 17)
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, March 05, 2009, 05:58:35 PM »
Is this resurrection day on OW, D?
Isn't that "Resurrection day" every day for me, Cobra? ;)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Resident Evil 5 -- Update: 9.0 from IGN (see Reply 23)
« Reply #24 on: Monday, March 09, 2009, 07:03:24 PM »
It is part of RE.  I didn't like the early games, but 4 was cool.  I still think you guys and your control-nazi thing are crazy, but I guess it's your loss.  That said, I'm still not that interested.  I feel like I got my fill with 4.  Though Sy said the demo has coop, and we never did try that.  I downloaded it but have been too busy with other stuff to bother.  We should really give it a try.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #25 on: Monday, March 09, 2009, 07:09:35 PM »
You know, it'd be cool to see Steam or GOG say re-release RE1-3 on the PC, actually...

I hope the PC port of RE5 turns out good.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #26 on: Monday, March 09, 2009, 07:45:36 PM »
I'll take Resident Evil 1 and its control scheme over RE4 or 5. That game was just more fun and more on the thrill side of things rather than inane horde action (which is waaaay better in L4D). Plus it had auto-aim! All you had to do was hold the aim button and fire when ready.

Can you imagine playing L4D with the RE5 camera and controls?

Oh yeah and one more thing they changed in RE5, the inventory is realtime.. It doesn't pause the game like all the previous games.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #27 on: Monday, March 09, 2009, 07:56:34 PM »
Ugh, I can't possibly agree with you.  I hate and loathe the original RE games.  Slow and boring, plus also not that scary, and not tense.  Give me 4 and (I assume) 5 any day.  And of course I can't see playing L4D with that control scheme.  Those games are nothing alike.  Just because you shoot lots of dudes doesn't really make them similar games, even if they exist in the same genre.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #28 on: Monday, March 09, 2009, 08:08:49 PM »
Most games and movies that are supposed to be scary...really just ain't.

I will say, though -- as an action-adventure game, I enjoyed RE4 quite a bit.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #29 on: Monday, March 09, 2009, 09:31:48 PM »
RE4 was fucking amazing.  RE5 looks more of the same.  I tried the demo and it looks amazing, but the gameplay does feel a tad dated. 

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #30 on: Sunday, March 15, 2009, 11:17:51 PM »
Brad Shoemaker over at Giantbomb gives it 5/5 stars with a really good video review to go along with it. Damn you Brad for making me want this game now.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #31 on: Monday, March 16, 2009, 02:58:01 PM »
8.5 from GameSpot for XB360 and PS3
Video Review.
Written review.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Resident Evil 5 -- Update: PC Version to have extra content not on consoles
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, May 03, 2009, 08:54:58 PM »
There's a twist!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, May 03, 2009, 09:04:09 PM »
Yeah, like securom!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, May 03, 2009, 09:08:01 PM »
I was going to make that joke, but I thought it'd be too depressing.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #37 on: Monday, May 04, 2009, 02:18:56 PM »
More info and details on RE5 PC.

More Resident Evil 5 PC Details Emerge
by Chris Faylor May 04, 2009 3:16pm CST tags: Resident Evil 5

With Resident Evil 5 officially on its way to the PC "later in the year," publisher Capcom has provided some new details about the features that will be found in the port.

As with the July-due PC editions of Street Fighter IV and Bionic Commando, Resident Evil 5 PC will support DirectX 9 and 10 along with "ultra-high resolutions." Furthermore, all three games can be played with either a gamepad or mouse and keyboard.

While higher resolutions are standard fare for a console-to-PC port, it's still good to have confirmation, considering Capcom was rather quiet on the specifics last week. At the time, the only PC-specific feature mentioned for RE5 was GeForce 3D Vision support.

"Laugh at console player's lowly 1080p as you crank your monitor up," wrote Capcom communications director Chris Kramer. "[There is] mouse and keyboard support for all three titles, but for God's sake, go buy a gamepad with analog sticks."

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Resident Evil 5 -- Update: PC Version to support DX9/10, KB/mouse, controllers
« Reply #38 on: Monday, May 04, 2009, 02:36:22 PM »
I"m beating a dead horse here, but there's something inherently wrong with a third person shooter that controls better with a gamepad.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Resident Evil 5 -- Update: PC Version to support DX9/10, KB/mouse, controllers
« Reply #39 on: Monday, May 04, 2009, 05:07:01 PM »
Except that nobody in the gaming community or the press agrees with you.  Apparently.  I'm just saying.