Author Topic: deus ex 3!  (Read 41559 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: deus ex 3!
« Reply #160 on: Wednesday, August 24, 2011, 02:55:19 PM »
Here's my impressions from my 6 hours or so of gameplay from yesterday. The game is really good.

I should note - I'm playing on "Give Me a Challenge." Maybe this is why I haven't noticed anything odd or out of the ordinary when facing AI. Maybe I'll stumble across something? I don't know. [shrug] Mye eyes will stay peeled.

The voice-acting, storytelling, and everything - it's all really-really good. Nothing has seemed or felt off in this game.

The graphics - well, they're not horrible and they're not spectacular, either. The characters models look great sometimes, sometimes not-so-much. Adam looks like a bad-ass, though. Sometimes, animations seem a little stiff - especially after playing something like AC: Brotherhood. On the other-hand - the details in the game environments and the art-design in the game-world are pretty good, though.

The gameplay has VASTLY improved. There's a cover system - and the game jumps to 3rd person when you do so. You can now cover behind things; move from cover-to-cover; pick-up portable objects [boxes] to use them as cover; and so forth. You get a headshot, expect points for being a "Marksmen." The first person shooting feels great.

You get even "Scholar" points for reading certain E-books and stuff in the game-world.

A breath of fresh-air, compared to Mass Effect games on the dialogue selection. Here's a game that finally gives us dialogue and it plays out EXACTLY like how you selected it. Not always, though - since he might say MORE than what your option was. This is fine, as it all stays on the same wavelength as the decision, though.

Like previous Deus Ex games, expect often - especially on main quests - multiple points of entry into an area. In most cases, you can stealth, shoot, hack, or mix-and-mash your way through an area.

Stealth attacks look nice. Whether it's a knock-out or a kill, it just looks sweet. :)

The Inventory is back to the grid-style from Deus Ex 1, PC gamers. If you liked that - you'll be happy w/ this decision to bring that back. I know that I sure am.

One question - are there any melee weapons in this game? I just...haven't ran into any...

EDIT:
GameSpy's Graphics Guide for Deus Ex: Human Revolution PC.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 24, 2011, 03:38:43 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #161 on: Wednesday, August 24, 2011, 03:49:37 PM »
Ummm....If GameStop doesn't like what's inside, why is GameStop even selling Deus Ex: Human Revolution PC in Retail Boxes...?

:o

For those who don't know - DE:HR PC Retail Box versions ALSO come also w/ a FREE coupon for DE:HR PC through OnLive.
We know GameStop guts their boxes out before sale.
Well, GameStop's been discarding them free OnLive coupons.

Seriously - WTH?  :o

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #162 on: Wednesday, August 24, 2011, 05:17:21 PM »
I was wondering the same thing, after reading a couple of joystiq blurbs about the ongoing shenanigans.  Now it looks like Gamestop is pulling the PC version off the shelves entirely, and only honoring preorders.  I don't get it at all.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #163 on: Wednesday, August 24, 2011, 05:29:13 PM »
Heh. What a response. They got caught so now they're just trying to sweep it up under the rug.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #164 on: Wednesday, August 24, 2011, 07:58:56 PM »
Huh. This is kinda rich. Square Enix is basically apologizing for this. I wasn't aware that they had to apologize for anything... except pissing off a major retailer who insisted on being pissy. It's not like there was some sort of exclusivity deal.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #165 on: Wednesday, August 24, 2011, 08:43:52 PM »
Gamestop.  It still amazes me that anyone rewards that company with dollars.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #166 on: Wednesday, August 24, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
Huh. This is kinda rich. Square Enix is basically apologizing for this. I wasn't aware that they had to apologize for anything... except pissing off a major retailer who insisted on being pissy. It's not like there was some sort of exclusivity deal.
I think Square Enix is apologizing b/c GameStop was NOT notified ahead of time that a competitor's coupon would be contained inside of the game-box, since GameStop has their own Stream Service in-the-works.

That still doesn't justify what GameStop did, though.
They should've just stopped selling the game period, not pulling the code and still trying to sell you the game w/out the code.

I'm sure there's some gamers who wouldn't give a shit about the OnLive copy and would still buy it from GS even if they pulled the code, anyways...
Was GameStop warning PC gamers when they bought the game that they pulled the OnLive code?
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 24, 2011, 09:17:32 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #167 on: Wednesday, August 24, 2011, 11:43:01 PM »
Alternatively they could have set up a deal where they replace the OnLive coupons with keys to get the game via Impulse, which they are selling the game through anyway.

No matter how you look at it, this is yet another example of Gamestop being a dick to the customers.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #168 on: Thursday, August 25, 2011, 12:06:24 AM »
I'm sure Square Enix is just covering their asses there.  I wouldn't be surprised if GS has a clause in whatever distribution contract they have with publishers that prevents coupons or promotions from competing services or stores to be included in merchandise.  It kind of only makes sense.

Still, I don't think anyone could deny that this was a huge dick move. It'd be a stretch to claim that this would in any way be hurting the interests of Game Stop considering it's just a key for a product that they've already sold (although I don't see why people couldn't just give that key away to their friends who don't have the game).  Plus, their service isn't on the market yet.

The amazing thing is how poorly they handled it.  Just open the boxes and remove the shit?  It's the absolute worst thing they could do as far as customer relations go.  If anything, they could have pulled them off the shelves, demanded a retraction and fresh boxes (apologizing to consumers for the delay) OR they could have let it slide and somehow penalized Square-Enix. Instead, they just created a shit ton of bad press which could have been avoided if they handled it properly and gave consumers a reason to buy a retail box from anywhere but their stores.

I'm also at least mildly surprised that Square-Enix didn't apologize to consumers in their statement.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #169 on: Thursday, August 25, 2011, 01:41:16 AM »
I'm still not certain Square-Enix should apologize in the first place. The way I see it, GameStop wants to deal the retail game they should accept the package as is. Unless there's something potentially illegal inside the box they have no business opening it and removing an item from it, especially when the customer is paying for it.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #170 on: Thursday, August 25, 2011, 02:02:14 PM »
Probably just broad stroke covering their assess.  Square Enix probably needs GS more than GS needs Square Enix.  Sadly.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #171 on: Thursday, August 25, 2011, 02:27:29 PM »
They were promoting a rival service to gamestop without gamestop's consent/knowledge.

But GPW is probably right here. Who knows.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #172 on: Thursday, August 25, 2011, 02:36:22 PM »
Alternatively they could have set up a deal where they replace the OnLive coupons with keys to get the game via Impulse, which they are selling the game through anyway.

No matter how you look at it, this is yet another example of Gamestop being a dick to the customers.
No doubt - GameStop are treating their customers like dirt by pulling the coupon and still selling the game. Nobody's arguing that. They should've never sold the game, in the first place - once they noticed OnLive coupons were inside, if they are totally against OnLive.

But, really - what's the up-side to getting Impulse version? It probably ain't too much different than the Steam version - since regardless, DE:HR PC requires Steam everywhere.

The OnLive version was purposely thrown in their to promote the "streaming game" idea. Too bad for GameStop that their Stream service is NOT complete.

So, my question is - are the GameStop employees taking the OnLive Coupon home? :P Are they passing them out? What are they doing w/ them?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #173 on: Thursday, August 25, 2011, 03:26:39 PM »
GameStop Pulls PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution From Shelves Following OnLive Debacle

After getting into hot water earlier today for opening new PC copies of Square Enix's Deus Ex: Human Revolution and removing codes for a free OnLive version of the game prior to sale, video game retailer GameStop has pulled the games from its shelves pending recall.

Well, at least they did the right thing by pulling it. Now customers will definitely go to the competition and avoid that festering cesspool.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #174 on: Thursday, August 25, 2011, 05:12:01 PM »
Well, that's a bit extreme! WTF!

And as usual, it is the PC version that suffers. I'd be pissed if I had a preorder and it got cancelled because of this. Keep the coupon! Give me my game. Another blow against the PC version of a game.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #175 on: Thursday, August 25, 2011, 07:46:04 PM »
I just made a stark discovery about the PC version. Apparently it (or at least part of it) is region-locked. Bear in mind I got the game via Steam, according to Eidos/Square-Enix the digital version of the game is NOT region-locked at all.

Here's what happened: When the game unlocked on the 23rd Aug in North America, I simply connected to my Canadian VPN and voila I was playing the game on the 23rd! I didn't have to wait till the 26th when it would officially unlock here in the Middle East. As long as I was connected to my VPN the game was unlocked. Now it's the 26th and the game has unlocked here; I log off my VPN and am happy to see the "pre-load" button has finally changed to "play." I boot up the game and none of my saves are working. Game crashes to desktop every time I try to load any of my saves. I dreaded the thought of having to repeat the last 18 hours of gameplay. I was able to start a new game just to make sure it would actually run. On a hunch I logged back on to my VPN, launched the game, and holy frickin' heck my old savegame loads and I can resume! I tried the game a few more times with the VPN on and off and the results are consistent!

Basically, if you started the game in North America and then traveled you won't be able to load you savegames and resume playing. You can start a new game no problem but that save file would be exclusive to your new region only!! So, my mind has reached the point of "WTF??!??!!" but since I'm fasting I have to calm down and keep my composure.

But seriously, man, WTF?!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #176 on: Thursday, August 25, 2011, 07:51:36 PM »
I imagine the results are unintentional, but that doesn't necessarily make them excusable either.

I get region locking.  I really do.  But what you are experiencing is just stupid and doesn't make sense.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #177 on: Thursday, August 25, 2011, 11:58:11 PM »
That seems really strange.  Hex editor/Save Converter?  I imagine others have run into this.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #178 on: Friday, August 26, 2011, 05:28:05 AM »
That seems really strange.  Hex editor/Save Converter?  I imagine others have run into this.
According to my forum posts nobody seems to have been experiencing these issues because no one seems to have traveled or used a VPN when running the game. My thread just keeps getting neglected, I bumped it a few times but no constructive responses from anyone at all.

I've also submit a support ticket with Square-Enix/Eidos. Hopefully they'll shed some light on it and resolve the issue.

I don't understand region locking. I can empathize if it's a matter of release dates etc. but beyond that they make no sense but to limit and agitate legitimate customers, like me.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #179 on: Friday, August 26, 2011, 06:21:36 AM »
I don't understand region locking. I can empathize if it's a matter of release dates etc. but beyond that they make no sense but to limit and agitate legitimate customers, like me.
Let's say Company can get away with selling Game for $60 in the first world.  Great.  But could they sell it for that in Africa?  Most likely not.  If they want any sales, they have to lower the price.  So let's say they sell it for $30 in Africa.  Now you have the problem of people in the first world buying and importing the cheaper third world copy.

That is the major reason that regional locking exists.

Now, I will grant you that if a game is $60 everywhere, it doesn't make any sense.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #180 on: Friday, August 26, 2011, 09:03:43 AM »
That's the core of the issue. They can sell it for a profit at a lower price to certain groups of people, others will naturally feel screwed. This scenario only applies to situations where the game is available in different regions with different prices. Which is where I usually get screwed, for example during sales events North America will get 75% discount on the US price and we'll only get 50% off the non-US price. Then of course there's the grand old issue of not having the game available in a region at all. Makes sense for retail but not a convincing argument for the often-perceived open world of the internet.

I don't condone piracy but region issues are one of the biggest reasons piracy has become a compelling option on this side of the world. Game's not available here so no lost sale, no guilt.

I would love to get a job making "Gaming" happen here in the Middle East. Ensuring publishers want to make proper releases for us, rather than having to cycle trough European or Asian channels.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #181 on: Friday, August 26, 2011, 02:35:03 PM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #182 on: Friday, August 26, 2011, 03:25:22 PM »
Ummm....is there any place where Adam can store his crap in this game?
That's what I initially thought the "secret stash" in his apartment was! I was disappointed that it was just a few bits ammo and a weapon mod but I wasn't able to store any of my stuff there.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #183 on: Friday, August 26, 2011, 04:52:14 PM »
That's what I initially thought the "secret stash" in his apartment was! I was disappointed that it was just a few bits ammo and a weapon mod but I wasn't able to store any of my stuff there.

I really could go for each hub having a hideout for Adam, littered w/ some chests so he can store his stuff.

EDIT:
GamePro -> Spoof on Deus Ex: HR's augments -> "Chad Jensen."
« Last Edit: Friday, August 26, 2011, 06:13:01 PM by MysterD »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #184 on: Friday, August 26, 2011, 07:58:01 PM »
Can't you just throw shit on the ground in Adam's apartment (or anywhere else?) and it will be there next time?  That's what I assumed at least.

EDIT:  Yeah, it works.
« Last Edit: Saturday, August 27, 2011, 03:16:06 AM by gpw11 »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #185 on: Saturday, August 27, 2011, 06:59:25 AM »
Can't you just throw shit on the ground in Adam's apartment (or anywhere else?) and it will be there next time?  That's what I assumed at least.

EDIT:  Yeah, it works.

Nice find!
Does he have a place he stays at in Hengsha where he can throw stuff on the ground?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #186 on: Saturday, August 27, 2011, 07:15:35 AM »
Can you store hookers? (Dead ones, if Beo comes over?)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #187 on: Saturday, August 27, 2011, 07:22:19 AM »
Can you store hookers? (Dead ones, if Beo comes over?)

Unfortunately, nope... :(

There are plenty of those hookers standing around and walking around in Hengsha (Hub 2), but that's about it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #188 on: Saturday, August 27, 2011, 07:47:11 AM »
Anyone heard anything about the message now appearing on the bottom of the screen on your Main Screen?
Looks like something might be coming to us for DE:HR on Aug 29th, at 2200 GMT; telling us to "Be Ready."

DLC announcement?
Deus Ex 4 announcement? [shrug]
I don't know.
Start speculating!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #189 on: Saturday, August 27, 2011, 10:47:36 AM »
I've been running several tests on the game and its region effects. Apparently, when I run the game normally (without VPN) I am able to start a new game but the game crashes randomly, quite frequently. When I activate a VPN, routing through a Canadian server, the game runs flawlessly, no crashes whatsoever.

I finished the game without a single crash. When I switch off the VPN the performance becomes erratic and the game crashes to desktop way too often to get any kind of pleasure out of it.

It seems the regional restrictions were hard coded into the game and weren't properly disabled. I never imagined I'd run into technical problems with a game solely based on where I'm playing it!

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #192 on: Sunday, August 28, 2011, 08:19:26 AM »
I bought it this morning and checked out the little part of it. So far I'm pretty impressed on how well it really locks down the Deus Ex world and feel, I even love the music.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #193 on: Sunday, August 28, 2011, 08:33:33 AM »
I bought it this morning and checked out the little part of it. So far I'm pretty impressed on how well it really locks down the Deus Ex world and feel, I even love the music.
Yeah, the game nails so much, it ain't even funny. Voice-acting, music, gameplay - everything. It's as if took the blueprint of what made Deus Ex 1 great, expanded on it a bit [stealth kills, cover system, hacking mini-game, better journal], and polished the hell out of it.

I have VERY little to complain about w/ this game. Sure, there's a few complaints that I have - graphics aren't technically spectacular and the animations can be stiff at times; no real legit storage chest for equipment; not many melee weapons; all boss fights [so far] have involved a deadly approach. Matter of fact, this mostly sounds A LOT like my Deus Ex 1 complaints...which are ALL VERY-VERY minor stuff - especially compared to A LOT of other games out there.

PC version got their long load times issues fixed, so that issue is thrown out the window.

This 2011 really has been a stellar year for games - Deus Ex: HR, Witcher 2, AC:BH PC, Dead Space 2, [a majorly improved] Two Worlds 2, FO:NV - Old World Blues DLC [probably the best DLC ever], Bastion [I gotta try the demo], etc etc. And we got Rage, Skyrim, AC: Revelations [don't know if PC will make it this year], and a bunch of others around the corner. Last year, no matter what I played, it was clear to me Mass Effect 2 was the best game of 2010 by far - now, I have no clue what is the best game of 2011, given just some of the above line-up.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #194 on: Sunday, August 28, 2011, 11:51:15 PM »
Nice find!
Does he have a place he stays at in Hengsha where he can throw stuff on the ground?

I imagine you could really just use any empty room in the game.  Or the middle of the street.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #195 on: Monday, August 29, 2011, 12:12:12 PM »
I caved and bought it for $35.  Whee
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #196 on: Monday, August 29, 2011, 02:40:45 PM »
I caved and bought it for $35.  Whee
Sweet deal.

Finished the game (first playthrough), took me about 28 hours total.

Just started on hardest difficulty with no visual aids (object highlight, on-screen objective markers disabled), it's a challenge since I'm also going for the Pacifist achievement ;D Just finished the first Detroit segment and no kills so far! At least I hope not. I wish the game had a player log like in Oblivion. Either way, the game is actually more fun on the hardest difficulty, especially for a stealth player.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #197 on: Monday, August 29, 2011, 02:56:59 PM »
28 hours?  That's really good these days.

I really want this game, but I need to dig out my machine.  Or I guess I could play it on OnLive on my MacBook Pro.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #198 on: Monday, August 29, 2011, 11:23:09 PM »
No waypoint markers?  Fuck me, I couldn't handle that.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #199 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 02:32:49 AM »
No waypoint markers?  Fuck me, I couldn't handle that.
Well, they're not on-screen, but they still show up on the radar. It's certainly nostalgic and adds a tiny bit of realism by removing the "augmented reality" (how appropriate!) from the screen.

The object-highlighting is what I had gotten used to, without it I felt lost at first, I realized how much detail the game actually has with all the scattered objects on a desk for example. It can be rewarding when you spot that hidden pocket secretary or credit chip on a book shelf all on your own ;D