Author Topic: Left 4 Dead  (Read 43842 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Left 4 Dead THREAD -- Update: IGN Review added
« Reply #120 on: Friday, December 19, 2008, 10:52:48 PM »
It certainly is really fun, but I just worry about the longevity of it.  I'd be much happier if it was $29.99 although I very well could get $50 worth of entertainment out of it either way.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 07:16:21 AM »
I am still not nearly sick of it. While its levels are a lot more limited than those of TF2, the whole game is significantly more unpredictable.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #123 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 11:47:25 PM »
From what I saw of the demo that certainly is true to a point, but in the end all that changes is where and when the zombies come at you.  I guess in this game that pretty much changes everything and when you have more than two levels available it creates a far more dynamic and varied experience across the board, but I played the hell out of TF2 before I got bored of it because of the different defense/offense tactics people would use.  I'd like to pick this up, but I still don't want to for anything more than the price of TF2, especially since few here seem to play it. 

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #124 on: Wednesday, December 31, 2008, 12:33:47 AM »
I saw some screens in the newest issue of PC Gamer that so made me want the game. I really wish the demo was still available. If I knew I could play it online (which I seriously doubt) I might be tempted to pay more. As it is, singleplayer only and not that many maps...Im waiting for a bargain bin.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #125 on: Wednesday, December 31, 2008, 08:05:01 AM »
I'm waiting for $20 Bargain Bin, too.

Hell, I might be $30 for this one. I dunno.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Left 4 Dead THREAD
« Reply #126 on: Thursday, January 01, 2009, 11:20:19 AM »
Okay, I see some of y'all on Steam bought this.
So, how do y'all like it?
Impressions?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #127 on: Thursday, January 01, 2009, 01:28:42 PM »
It was actually an obscenely generous gift.  I really couldn't justify the cost on my own, as I've said before, but now that I have it... well, it's hard to say.  I haven't tried multiplayer (as in 8v8) yet, and I've only done the first campaign map with Pyro, but that said... this shit is seriously epic.  That's the only word for it.  I definitely see what the buzz is about now, we had a really good time.  I still think the lack of content is going to hurt it, but I've yet to see just how much variety can be gotten from the included maps when you've got the AI director at work.  It really is a shame there aren't more levels, because on a pure twitch shooter level it's really quite satisfying.  This is a game that absolutely deserves an SDK and lots of custom community maps.  It could positively thrive on them.

Either way, I'm definitely looking forward to playing more.  I'll probably go through the campaign on my own, again with Pyro, and then maybe a third time once I ship Idol the backup files for it so he can get his own copy going (4GB download + dialup = !#$&).  Idol has also just informed me that they're already working on new maps and there *will* be an SDK, so that's extremely positive.  My dislike of Steam and also of the Source engine are in no way budged by this.  The game definitely looks pretty dated (though don't get me wrong, it doesn't look bad -- the gore is exquisite), the load times are horrendous, and Steam continues to give me odd little problems.  But that's no reflection on the game itself, which at this point seems to have justified itself much better than I'd thought it would.  I daresay that I could even become an honest-to-goodness fan by the time I'm through.
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 01, 2009, 01:48:50 PM by Quemaqua »

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #128 on: Thursday, January 01, 2009, 01:54:15 PM »
Well DLC is apparently around the corner. The game is really entertaining on my friend's Xbox Live, but I just can't quite justify the cost of buying it on the PC yet. But like I said earlier, it is one of those overpriced things that even when you overspend on, you don't feel too bad because it is so much fun, and it isn't a massively expensive purchase on the whole, either.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #129 on: Thursday, January 01, 2009, 01:55:11 PM »
Dude id rock that shit with you Que... add me to your friends list! you know my name
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #130 on: Thursday, January 01, 2009, 02:27:52 PM »
Well DLC is apparently around the corner.
"Soon" or "around the corner" for Valve = 6 months. :P

All we really know is the announcement for what the DLC is will be likely very soon -- very soon for Valve probably means "maybe soon." :P

The game is really entertaining on my friend's Xbox Live, but I just can't quite justify the cost of buying it on the PC yet. But like I said earlier, it is one of those overpriced things that even when you overspend on, you don't feel too bad because it is so much fun, and it isn't a massively expensive purchase on the whole, either.
I can't justify it, either...not until a good amount of DLC gets released, a L4D SDK comes out, and/or the price drops.

Only way I can justify this is...well, if someone "gifts" me the game. I can throw that dream out the window. :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #131 on: Thursday, January 01, 2009, 04:21:59 PM »
Added, keebs.  Dude, why weren't you in the OWnet group to begin with?  I thought we posted all that stuff.  Anyway, you have an invite.  If a few more people get L4D, we could even get some versus multi happening.

As of now we have enough for a full survivor team for coop, anyway.  You, me, Pyro, and Idol.  We have no confirmation whether Idol can play consistently with his connection, but I'm hopeful.  I've seen reports of dialup guys playing the game and pissing off LPBs, so hopefully we can get it going without too much problem.  Time will tell.

So further update: I actually found the single player quite fun.  I don't know what's up with all these people talking about how if you aren't playing with other people it's totally worthless.  I played through the first episode (they call them maps... but it's really a series of 5 maps, so...?), and I had just as much fun as when I played with Pyro.  I can even see playing with other players more annoying because they won't do what you want them to and will likely get you killed more often and avoid helping you out in favor of trying to play the hero.  The bots can't seem to pick up explosives, which is a drawback, but that seems to be the only real limitation aside from the fact that you can't get them to lead and they won't use stationary guns, making that your job in all respects.  But they're pretty good with pathing and following you 85%-90% of the time and are never far off even if a little behind, and they're very conscientious about healing you, healing each other, sharing supplies, and reviving teammates.  Not as good as human players no doubt, but there's absolutely no reason you can't play the game with them.  Multi is obviously where the meat of this game will lie since it's so blisteringly short, but if it gets cheap later and has DLC, I imagine you could get on with the SP well enough.  It's not like you'll just play it once.  I had as much fun on my 2nd run as I did on my first.  So that's about 3 hours total fiddling, and I haven't even seen the other episodes yet.

Anyway... my outlook gets more positive as I go.  Hopefully the trend continues!

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #132 on: Thursday, January 01, 2009, 10:10:45 PM »
I played a game with a guy I know from WoW and we had a lot of fun. Then he invited a friend who was retarded. The guy kept shooting us instead of the zombies, and he couldn't stay alive. He was constantly running off the sides of rooftops and dying. I never want to play with that guy again.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #133 on: Thursday, January 01, 2009, 10:56:20 PM »
W7RE, what's your Steam handle?  You should join the group so that we seem less illegitimate.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #134 on: Thursday, January 01, 2009, 11:49:39 PM »
W7RE, but... I have L4D for Xbox 360.

/ducks

EDIT: Actually my account name is W7RE, I've got it set to use Wyre in games since no one knows how to pronounce W7RE.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #135 on: Friday, January 02, 2009, 02:57:11 AM »
Fuck!  So now I pretty much have to buy it don't I?  Damn.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #136 on: Friday, January 02, 2009, 03:32:48 AM »
Yea I have to share with what Que says is that its alot of fucking fun. The maps are actually much longer than I thought they'd be. I didnt know a map comprised of 4 or 5 areas you progressed through so Im pretty satisfied in whats being offered here.

Right now we seemed to be cruising through on Normal difficulty. We got a little beat up on the first area since we were getting used to fighting the special infected types but now weve gotten a better handle on it. I think we'll put it up another notch the next time we play.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #137 on: Friday, January 02, 2009, 06:58:24 PM »
Fun with sound mods.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #138 on: Friday, January 02, 2009, 07:34:04 PM »
Also, I've discovered tons of vids on YouTube where people have basically extracted CS maps straight up and brought them into L4D without any alterations, and the AI director basically turns the maps into L4D material without any real work.  You have to spawn weapons and health, but the AI director spawns in zombies and shit like it was the real deal.  This bodes amazingly well for the community.  The zombies even climb the architecture and stuff to some degree, no scripts or anything.  A little editing and a bunch of people are going to be able to make some nice little user-episodes.  That's exciting.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #139 on: Friday, January 02, 2009, 10:18:17 PM »
I remember seeing a story when the demo was out or shortly thereafter where someone somehow imported either some TF2 or HL maps.  I imagine that this and what you're talking about are both very good signs. 

Anyways, I was pretty much sold on the demo save the price and the fact that none of you guys play. None of my friends really play PC games, and while it was fun to play with total strangers, it just wouldn't be the same.  Now that you're all over it I guess I'm going to have to hop on board...sadly, probably not until I get paid again since I just dropped a lot of cash on gaming related items and haven't worked in a few weeks.

Edit: and tuition...fuck you tuition.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #140 on: Friday, January 02, 2009, 10:54:45 PM »
Yeah tuition sucks but the fact that this game isn't on the PS3 sucks even more. Get your shit together, people.

Also, zombie sex? Yes? No? These are the sorts of conversations that you are missing out on by not logging onto IRC. 

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #141 on: Friday, January 02, 2009, 11:19:17 PM »
PC is the definitive platform to play this game. I dont think you even need that powerful of a machine to play it. If you can run HL2 then you should be able to play this, its not that graphically intensive.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #142 on: Saturday, January 03, 2009, 02:10:12 AM »
DONT FUCK WITH WITCHES. HOLY SHIT.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #143 on: Saturday, January 03, 2009, 01:12:18 PM »
Now, for your entertainment, 15 minutes of Pyro and Que L4D voice chat from last night. I just removed some keyboard noises and sections of "dead air".

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #144 on: Saturday, January 03, 2009, 01:14:55 PM »
It's pretty hilarious.  I think "oh shit!" is the most commonly-uttererd phrase.  It's a shame there isn't some of the game noise in there too... because you can't quite get the sense of how frantic it is.  But you'll hear us panic a few times, which gives an indication.

EDIT - It starts off a bit slow, but it's pretty funny after you get about a third of the way in.  It's particularly great toward the end when we hit a tank.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #145 on: Saturday, January 03, 2009, 02:21:38 PM »
Dammit, seems like everybody on here got this game but me...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #146 on: Saturday, January 03, 2009, 03:36:37 PM »
Dammit, seems like everybody on here got this game but me...
And me...

I nearly picked it up today but I still can't be inclined to spend over $40 for it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #147 on: Saturday, January 03, 2009, 05:08:44 PM »
And me...

I nearly picked it up today but I still can't be inclined to spend over $40 for it.

Same here -- I just don't wanna spend $40 for this, with a lack of maps currently available here...

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #148 on: Saturday, January 03, 2009, 05:43:06 PM »
Que has set up a dedicated server for L4D, and we need people to test it. Heres infos:
It's up at 76.126.116.56:7778. Please help us test it by going on and trying it out! It's currently set to co-op play. Try it, see how your ping is, etc. Report back on the forums!
So there you go. I believe its set to only let people that are part of the Overwritten.net group can join, so if you need an invite let me know.
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 03, 2009, 09:15:00 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #149 on: Saturday, January 03, 2009, 08:18:57 PM »
Dammit, some retailer needs to drop the price -- Amazon, Gogamer, Best Buy, Circuit City -- hell, somebody!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #150 on: Saturday, January 03, 2009, 08:28:14 PM »
I think I might pick it up after I get paid next.  Have you guys looked at the four pack they sell?  I don't know what the price is, but if you split it between 4 people it must work out to be cheaper unless it's completely pointless.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #151 on: Saturday, January 03, 2009, 08:32:15 PM »
Have you guys looked at the four pack they sell?  I don't know what the price is, but if you split it between 4 people it must work out to be cheaper unless it's completely pointless.

It's $150 right now fir the Four Pack.
L4D goes for $50 by itself, so basically with the 4 Pack it's more like you buy 3 copies and get one free.

During the crazy sale, it was $138 or so.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #152 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 04:19:23 AM »
Server seems to work well.  Pyro and I went through the first two campaigns tonight on Hard.  Pyro doesn't get excellent pings to it, but it's certainly playable without much noticeable lag (generally he was getting about 200ms).  Otherwise there were no problems, and it has the added benefit of not fucking up game speed like happens often with locally hosted games (this is a known bug, apparently -- I noticed it the other night when we played, and had begun to wonder if multiplayer was simply programmed to be faster).  Plus it's a server we control that doesn't run stupid mods.  Already it seems a lot of dumb shit is cropping up, and I really hope this doesn't turn into what TRIBES was before it died, with every server running some whacked out shit that wasn't fun or felt cheap.

Anyway, positive thus far.  I even got placeholder HTML up for a server banner and MOTD hosted on OWnet, so it's got our name stamped on it when it loads.  I don't know why, but that makes me happy.

EDIT - Also, server is going down for the night.  I don't think anyone yet cares, but I'll have it back up at some point tomorrow.  Need to do some system maintenance.  And I should say it's going down for the morning, really, and I'll have it back up later today.  It'll be almost 4 by the time I get to bed...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #153 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 06:50:08 AM »
L4D PC is $40 at Best Buy this week, if anyone is still lookin' for this L4D PC on disc...
So does Amazon.com with Free Saver Shipping (with it being over $25 and all).
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 07:40:24 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #154 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 07:42:23 AM »
Server seems to work well.  Pyro and I went through the first two campaigns tonight on Hard.  Pyro doesn't get excellent pings to it, but it's certainly playable without much noticeable lag (generally he was getting about 200ms).  Otherwise there were no problems, and it has the added benefit of not fucking up game speed like happens often with locally hosted games (this is a known bug, apparently -- I noticed it the other night when we played, and had begun to wonder if multiplayer was simply programmed to be faster).  Plus it's a server we control that doesn't run stupid mods.  Already it seems a lot of dumb shit is cropping up, and I really hope this doesn't turn into what TRIBES was before it died, with every server running some whacked out shit that wasn't fun or felt cheap.

Anyway, positive thus far.  I even got placeholder HTML up for a server banner and MOTD hosted on OWnet, so it's got our name stamped on it when it loads.  I don't know why, but that makes me happy.

EDIT - Also, server is going down for the night.  I don't think anyone yet cares, but I'll have it back up at some point tomorrow.  Need to do some system maintenance.  And I should say it's going down for the morning, really, and I'll have it back up later today.  It'll be almost 4 by the time I get to bed...

Que, in the server list, does the game itself note if a server in L4D is entirely running a mod or running L4D Clean? Or would those running the server have to mention that in the server name themselves?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #155 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 10:49:37 AM »
Some list things in the title, but I'm actually having trouble with the server browser.  It never seems to update when I go into a server listing to check on it.  Always says the server isn't responding.  I'm mostly going on some comments I've heard from the community and a few server titles I've seen.  It probably isn't as bad as some of them were making it out to be... looking this morning most of the servers look to still be stock.  Plus I think some people are probably misconstruing the bug that happens when you host locally and the game speed changes as a "fast mod".

It just makes me nervous when I see mods pop up and gain momentum so early on.  Don't fix what ain't broke, or at least don't bother fixing it until the old stuff has gotten the chance to go stale.

EDIT - Okay, the server is back up! 76.126.116.56:7778 for L4D co-op, and 76.126.116.56:7777 for Teamspeak!
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 11:50:43 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #156 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
I guess many are probably bored w/ the lack of maps, so they decided to mod it out to try and keep it fresh for them. Hell, I don't know.

Really, though -- add some freakin' maps, Valve! That's the best way to keep the game fresh -- and to keep people from over-modding the stock maps.

Oh, a SDK would be nice, too -- that would really keep this game going, more than anything.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #157 on: Monday, January 05, 2009, 01:43:16 AM »
I love this game, but again, just like with HL2, I really wish Valve would stop pretending like it has a fucking story.  They go on and on about the story it tells and how important story is to them and blah blah blah... shut the fuck up!  This game has no story.  Yes, it has a nice setting and some good background, and even some decent character personalities, but IT HAS NO STORY.  IT HAS NOTHING EVEN RESEMBLING A STORY.  It barely even has a coherent progression.  Oh, you rode off in a boat at the end of the 2nd campaign, and then for some reason at the start of the third you're in some kind of... greenhouse?  And you didn't even just walk into the greenhouse, you're in a boxed corner of it with no door surrounded on the other side by zombies.

If I have to hear about this game's "great story" one more time I'm going to feed Gabe Newell to a tribe of starving natives in Africa somewhere.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #158 on: Monday, January 05, 2009, 01:53:56 AM »
I still havent played with ya guys! i dont have to play any WoW tomorrow so anyone wanna kill some zombies?
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #159 on: Monday, January 05, 2009, 02:00:07 AM »
Yea, I agree. I do think it does a good job at keeping it simple though, like it doesnt evolve into something stupid like Resident Evil or something. I also think the characters here are much better done than in even Half Life, I mean their little moments of dialogue and stuff can be rather funny, also the intro cinematic still kicks ass and I cant wait to see more of it, not because theres a story like you said just because its so damn entertaining.