Author Topic: Fallout 3  (Read 220653 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Fallout 3 (by BethSoft) Thread -- UPDATE: Combat system revealed
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, July 01, 2007, 07:40:34 AM »
Fallout 3 preview from Voodoo Extreme

STOP, DROP, AND ROLL
Action points determine how many times you can freeze combat in a round

Life after the apocalypse isn't pretty. Nor is the Wasteland population particularly friendly. Radioactive free meat is hard to come by; and to a Mutant, you look like an ultra-tasty, walking, and talking, 180-pound chunk of prime rib. Combat in Fallout 3 is what I like to call "Freeze-Based-Combat". It's not precisely real-time, nor is it truly turned-based. After clicking on an enemy, the V.A.T.S. (Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System) comes on-screen, dividing the target into what can best described as a butcher's chart. You have a percentage chance to hit whatever zone of the body you're aiming for, each with a different possible effect. For example, if you do X amount of damage to a leg, there's a chance you could cripple or even blow it off. If you try to shoot a weapon out of someone's hands, there's a chance to disarm for opponent, or even break the item in question. I'm not 100% sure if you can run around and play in all real-time, but they didn't seem very keen on the idea of making Fallout 3 a run-and-gun, twitchy first-person-shooter.
Oooh -- I'm glad to see you can aim for body parts like you could in Fallout 2! :)
"Butcher's chart" looks cool to me, in 3D and all.

YOUR TOMORROW MAY DEPEND ON TODAY'S TRAINING
Every level has its own title

Believe it or not, despite the primarily first person camera (you can switch to third also, as seen in the screen below), Fallout 3 is a role-playing game. That means characters have a number of skills and abilities they can use to help them advance. The S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system makes a triumphant return from the original series offering up some 14 different skills to choose from. Perks are in the game as well, which you can pick every other level. The character level cap is set to 20, and for people who utterly despised the auto-level feature in Oblivion, you'll be happy to read that the location determines the toughness of the monsters rather than your power level.
Sounds good to me.

DID YOU KNOW …
The game is set in Washington DC, and in terms of sheer geographic size, is nearly as large as Oblivion.

Fallout 3 is for the most part an open-ended RPG that can be played in any number of ways. Yes, there is a main story line to find your father, but there are an equal amount of side-quests too. How long is the game? The main story will take about 20-hours of your time. The side-quests tack on another 20. Can you play it longer? That depends. Once you clear an area, it stays cleared. The good news is that there are upwards of a dozen different endings, so depending on your actions, you can replay the game many different ways. There's a degree of randomness as well, so no two games will ever be the same.
Sounds sweet to me -- a huge game w/ numerous endings, like the past two Fallouts. And a fair amount of main quest and side quest content.

CITIZENS NOT ABLE TO EMBRACE THE FUTURE ARE DOOMED TO LIVE IN THE PAST
Outside of Bioware, Bethesda is the only developer I'd trust with the series.

Relax, mutants. Fallout 3 is in good hands. Bethesda isn't going to cheese up the comedy to the point it's going to make you wince, nor is it going to ignore the elements that made the series great to begin with. Expect a rich cast of characters (some 40 plus different voice actors), hours upon hours of spoken dialogue and even some Hollywood talent to boot.

From a technological point of view, the lowest common denominator will be lower to mid-end PCs. You won't need Vista to run the game on your PC, and it's coming out on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 if consoles are your cup of tea. What does that mean to you? The end result is a state-of-the art looking - not to mention - playing game.
I'm glad it ain't Vista only.

Bethesda wasn't 100% sure about official mod support, but the PC version will most likely ship with an SDK if its prior games are any indication of the company's desire to support and grow the community. I wouldn't be shocked if they decided to release a cubic assload of commerical plugins, but much like Oblivion, you can find them bundled in stores much cheaper than buying them online.

It's too early to give Fallout 3 the official Voodoo Extreme seal of approval, but don't be shocked if the game ends up being the best of the series. I know it's disconcerting to some that the game is going to be set in the first-person perspective, but that's just progress folks. Other than the camera angle changing, the core game play mechanics and spirit of Fallout remains.
That'd be sweet if FO3 ships w/ a SDK Kit -- especially if modders lurch onto the the SDK w/ all kinds of great mods, like they've done w/ Morrowind and Oblivion.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Fallout 3 Thread -- UPDATE: Awesome NEW SCREENSHOTS and Preview
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, July 01, 2007, 10:09:53 AM »
Well, they've sure got the look down.  Click the link and look at the higher-res shots instead of these thumbnails.  I think the look is really solid and consistent. Obviously that's not the biggest concern, but still, I think those screens look awesome.

EDIT - GSpot has a preview also.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, July 01, 2007, 01:22:17 PM »
Well, they've sure got the look down.  Click the link and look at the higher-res shots instead of these thumbnails.  I think the look is really solid and consistent.
The screenies are great.

Yeah, they definitely have the look of Fallout down, to say the least. When I saw these shots, I was like -- "This is on the Oblivion Engine?!?!?" If I didn't know it was being made on the Oblivion Engine already, I would've never noticed. Yeah, you know how Quake 4 still looked like it was on the Doom 3 Engine....This doesn't look like that issue for Fallout 3, in regards to FO3 looking like its on the Oblivion Engine. Fallout 3 looks like it is on its own Engine -- and it looks a lot like the Fallout 2 style that I remember, but finally in complete 3D!! It looks GREAT!!!

Obviously that's not the biggest concern, but still, I think those screens look awesome.

EDIT - GSpot has a preview also.
I'm going to be interested in the combat -- seeing how that turns out and all.

I think the combat for FO3 might be a lot like say Star Wars: KOTOR and Jade Empire (since those game move in real-time w/ the option to pause to make commands). Though, it sounds sweet that like Vampire: Bloodlines, we can switch b/t the 1st person perspective and 3rd person perspective for FO3.

I remember in Fallout 2, you could have a decent sized party w/ you, based on your character's stats. I really do miss having RPG's where you constantly had like 5-6 guys in your party -- like say a BG2 or FO2. I'll miss that w/ FO3, but it won't be a big deal to me.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, July 10, 2007, 01:53:47 PM »
Desslock gives his FO3 Impressions

I actually think people will be very happily surprised with the writing, and the characters, in Fallout 3, compared to Oblivion's NPCs. The dialogue options are meaningful and different, not just a list of items that NPC can speak about, organized in a list where the only real choice is the order in which you hear the items. There's only a few hundred NPCs (down from 1500 or so in Oblivion, and 2500 in Morrowind), so they're much more fleshed out and unique -- it also helps that there's 30-40 different voice actors instead of just a handful in Oblivion. At least from what we've been shown, that stuff feels much more like Fallout 1/2 than Oblivion.

You also won't be a jack of all trades, as in Oblivion - you have to make real choices that matter, and which dynamically change the fortunes of other characters. Aside from enhancing replayability, since you obviously won't be able to do competing objectives, those choices deepen the roleplaying. To elaborate more on the "Megaton bomb quest" -- when you arrive at that town, you can greet and be friendly with the sheriff. When you get the quest to potentially blow up the bomb, you can instead inform the sheriff that these dudes are trying to blow up the town. Or you can decide to blow up the town, but actually be unable to because you lack the mechanical skills to activate the bomb. Or you could just decide to blow the sheriff away when you meet him, in which case you'll likely be attacked by his buddies when walking through the town. Or you could, after blowing him away, decide to put on his sheriff's uniform, in which case some NPCs may attack you for killing the sheriff, but others may actually defer to you as the new sheriff. In short - meaningful options and real choices, and interesting characters to interact with - in that respect, I think Bethesda is appropriately emulating some of Fallout's best and most distinctive features.

I also wouldn't read anything negative into not being able to kill kids - it's still definitely an M-rated game - there's graphic violence, swearing, and "adult" topics like slavery, etc. -- some other stuff that Bethesda isn't revealing yet, involving mutation, and one tracked stat was "corpses eaten", which makes me suspect there'll be something similar to the Vampire-path in Oblivion/Morrowind, where you can get into doing some nasty stuff. It doesn't feel sanitized. I also like the changes to the level-scaling, the use of SPECIAL and level-based character development as opposed to the use-based skill system of the Elder Scrolls games.

Other general impressions -- while calling it "Oblivion with guns" is an oversimplication given some of the differences I've described above (and without also getting into the combat differences, etc.), I also think it's a superficially apt description because it definitely looks like Oblivion, not like Fallout, because of the perspective. Sure, they've doled out the carrot of being able to view the game from an isometric perspective, but I'm skeptical that it'll be in any way practical to do so. But the graphics look great - far better than I think they come across in still screenshots.

Areas of uncertainty - the VATS system looks really cool, and is visually spectacular, but I think we need to see more of the combat to judge how it feels in practice. I really like the VATS system, but I'm not sold on combat in general - there's also a few pieces we haven't seen at all, like melee combat (which is definitely an important part of the game). Also, everything in the demo occurred in relatively congested areas as well, with lots of rubble around blocking views, etc. - I'd like to get a better sense for how large the world feels, and looks, by seeing more expansive vistas, etc. (obviously one of the real strengths of Oblivion).

Other stuff I really like - the implementation of the PIP boy, and the ability to pick off radio broadcasts as you're wandering the wasteland. The use of robots like Mr. Handy from the Fallout 1 cinematic - the nuke effects -- and the overall atmosphere: the perspective gives you a better sense that you're exploring a place that's been blown apart and is messed up (suitably "postapocalyptic") as opposed to a flat, top-down view. It's actually kind of creepy -- it's one thing to see a giant castle in the background while playing Oblivion, and think that's a cool, realistic view -- it's another to be walking around and then to look up at Washington D.C. buildings that have been fucked up, since we have a vested attachment to that setting.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Fallout 3 Thread -- UPDATE: Desslock gives impressions on a message board.
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, October 02, 2007, 08:33:40 AM »
Fallout 3 has a new contest, some cool prizes, if you win.

Contest is -- DESIGN YOUR OWN PERK.

Celebrating 10 Years of Fallout!

10 years ago the original Fallout was released and forever changed role-playing games. Now is your chance to be a part of Fallout history. We're giving you, the fans, a chance to design one of the perks for Fallout 3!

No, we aren’t going to tell you about any of the perks that are already in Fallout 3. First, that would spoil it, and second, we don’t want to color your ideas with anything we are, or aren’t doing. It’s a clean slate for you. Be creative.

Think of something in the spirit of Fallout. What would you really want your character to be able to do in the game? Don’t worry about any stat requirements or the level you would get it at. Just design a cool perk and we'll fit it in where it could go.

Part of what make Perks great are the Vault Boy images that goes with them. You can choose to use one of the generic icons we’ve provided to go along with your Perk if you’re not artistically inclined (that won’t hurt your chances of winning, in case you’re wondering) or you can choose to upload a drawing, sketch, photo, or creation of your own design. Send in a photo of yourself in the appropriate pose, sketch it on a napkin and scan it in...whatever you want.

If you win, you'll get your Perk in the game, your name in the game's credits, AND your choice of the grand prize from the Prize Vault: either the PC or the Console flavor.

All entries must be in by 11:59 pm (Eastern time) on October 31, 2007. We'll announce the winner of the contest, and all the other awardees, in November.

PC Grand Prize:
Your choice of an ATI or NVIDIA video card
Logitech G15 keyboard
Logitech G9 mouse
Logitech G51 Gaming Speakers
Vault Boy bobblehead
Vault Tec lunchbox
Fallout 3 t-shirt
Vault Boy decal

OR

Console Grand Prize:
Xbox 360 Pro
Logitech G51 Gaming Speakers
Vault Boy bobblehead
Vault Tec lunchbox
Fallout 3 t-shirt
Vault Boy decal

We’ll have plenty of prizes for runners-up and honorable mentions, and we’ll also pick from all the entries at random to give away some additional prizes just so everyone has a chance to win something. Prizes will include great stuff from our friends at NVIDIA, ATI, Logitech, and Microsoft, as well as Fallout schwag.

You can enter as often as you like, but you can only enter the same perk once, and you can only win once. All entries subject to the terms and conditions of the contest. Make sure you read them before you enter.

Good luck to everyone. We look forward to seeing your ideas.

Happy 10th Birthday to Fallout.

EDIT:
MyD made his crazy-ass submission already.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 02, 2007, 09:31:55 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Fallout 3 Thread -- UPDATE: Create Your Own PERK Contest from BethSoft
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, October 24, 2007, 04:55:58 AM »
New preview from GameBanshee

The PC sneaks past the next batch of supermutants, takes a drink of water from a nearby toilet to heal a bit and then hacks into a nearby computer to reactive a Protectron ticket-bot. "Hacking" is done via word-guessing game, where you have to guess which word is the password. With each guess the mini-game will tell you how many letters you got right.
Sounds like Hangman.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #48 on: Thursday, October 25, 2007, 09:10:15 AM »
That headshot screenie is awesome.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, October 25, 2007, 09:21:20 AM »
That headshot screenie is awesome.

Agreed.

Makes me remember the good old Fallout 2 days, with the violent deaths and all...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #50 on: Monday, March 24, 2008, 02:35:46 PM »
Fallout 3 info.

Oh, BTW -- there will be over 200 endings in Fallout 3.

I dunno if he's being realistic, sarcastically joking, or actually over-exaggerating...
But geez...12 did seem like a lot ALREADY!

Bethesda's Todd Howard recently did the official Xbox podcast and talked about Fallout 3, and revealed somenew tidbits, including the boggling new number of endings available. The highlights list:

-”Fans sending death threats” says one of the OXM guys. Another one calls Fallout fans”rabid Right Wing kind of fans”.

-Over 200 endings, since last week. The 12 endings was surpassed sometime ago.

-The game is twice bigger than what they thought in the beginning.

-Always just one humanoid-type companion, and another NPC like Dogmeat.

-Dogmeat can die, but they are working on his health and how you maintain him.

- Dogmeat can be given assignments, and will try to follow them with his Radiant AI.

-Brotherhood of Steel doing their own thing; already in finished state on the game; they are on the verge of extinction, you’ll interact with them a lot more after a determined point in the game.

-The game is finished, but needs a lot more polishing and testing, they are doing many playthroughs; they keep adding stuff, sometimes it takes 100 hours to play, just the main quest takes about 20 hours.

-Absolutely tracking at fall 2008.

EDIT:
So, here's what Todd said in the Podcast.
Quote from: Todd Howard
Being that we are Bethesda…everything gets a bit big. So as of last week we’re over 200 endings. That is not an exaggeration, but it deserves some description. 200 endings…that’s a lot. So originally when we started, we had various iterations of the ending. The ending is kind of cinematic, that’s dynamic based on the things you’ve done.

When we started, it was kind of fuzzy, it was like “well there’s like 9 maybe 12″ and we started adding things to it. So if you had done this or not this, you’d get this other tweak to the ending. And we kept doing that. And you know even just two weeks ago someone had this idea, “Oh we should add this idea to the ending” (sorry I’m not going to spoil what that is). And I said, “oh that’s a genius idea, we have to do that.” But then it became, “oh, but there’s four versions of that.” So i was like, “okay there’s like four different versions of that little parts,” and that multiplies by, at the time we were at about 60 ending…now there’s four versions of that so now theres around 240 versions. So it gets kind of stupid.”

The games are small at first on paper, and then as we go they get bigger…we can’t stop ourselves. We’re have tons of people with good ideas here, and if they’re good and fit the tone, we’re going to try to jam them in there. Fallout is probably twice the size of what we originally had on paper…it’s pretty big, so that’s happened with the endings.

So some of that is the big things of what you do really late in the game, some of its related to karma — how you’ve lived your life from the beginning — you get certain scenes based on your karma. But we kind of like the ending with as much as the game from the beginning — you tailoring your character and then you play throughout this game, and unlike Elder Scrolls where you can keep playing, Fallout 3 has a definite ending. So we wanted to go to efforts to make sure that the actual ending you get when you finish and get the ending, and make that ending reflect and make it individual to the user’s experience.” We’ve got a little overboard.”

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Fallout 3 -- UPDATE: There will be over 200 possible endings (permutations)
« Reply #51 on: Monday, March 24, 2008, 11:34:46 PM »
I remember Star Ocean 2 billed itself as having like 50+ endings.  It essentially had the same system where a few things could be different depending on who you used a lot, the relationships you cultivated, and other stuff like that.  Different combos added up to like over fifty possibilities, each one being just as shitty as the last.  Hopefully this isn't the same.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #52 on: Monday, March 24, 2008, 11:46:48 PM »
Yea 200 endings seems like some b.s. tag line.

Offline wizall

« Reply #53 on: Thursday, April 10, 2008, 06:50:16 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #54 on: Thursday, April 10, 2008, 06:57:07 PM »
Thanks. Let me go check that preview out,.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #55 on: Friday, April 11, 2008, 10:45:49 PM »
Man, FO3 is shaping up very nicely!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #56 on: Saturday, April 12, 2008, 06:20:48 AM »
Man, FO3 is shaping up very nicely!

I am so hoping I will meet the min. requirements for this one.

If so, I might actually spring for for it upon release.
I don't do that very often.

EDIT, 4/14/2008:
This is a recent 1Up Podcast, which talks about their FO3 impressions, among other stuff.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 14, 2008, 09:00:05 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #57 on: Thursday, April 17, 2008, 07:13:27 PM »
VideoGaming247
A lot of snippets from RPGWatch.com on videogaming247 getting some snippers of info from Pete Hines of BethSoft.

A site called videogaming247 has a series of comment snippets from Pete Hines on Fallout 3.  Rather than collecting the conversation into a full interview or preview, they've released a rapid-fire series of short articles on each issue, with some interesting things touched on.

First, the X360 is apparently the lead platform (apparently the PC doesn't get counted in such conversations):

“The 360 is our lead development platform, so we got it working on that one first,” he said. I mean, we develop them all simultaneously, but one of them’s got to be the lead, so it was 360.”

The choice was made more by the timing of the console’s release than anything else, Hines added.

“We had a year’s head start on the 360 because it came out a year earlier, so we had final dev hardware to work with earlier on than we did with PS3,” he said. “But as this point all three of them are pretty much on par. The goal is that, if I get three versions in here and hide the console or PC and just had them running on the screen, that you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.”

Can we extrapolate that the PC interface will also be the same?

Next, their goal is 30FPS on every platform.  And then, the PC spec will be "similar to what Oblivion was for its time".

Moving along, DLC is likely:

“Given how successful it was for us on Oblivion, certainly it’s a given that we’ll look into it and what we’d like to do,” he said, talking of extra content for the anticipated post-apocalyptic RPG.

“But I can’t tell you when, I can’t tell you what it would be, or what it would look like. Will it be bigger stuff like Knights of the Nine or smaller stuff? We’ve no idea. We’ll let folks know once we get down the road.”

...and lastly, Dogmeat is dogmeat if he dies:

What happens if he dies?

“Dead,” said Hines.

Is there another dog?

“Nope. One dog. Be careful.”

FO3: Collector's Ed
Here's what the FO3 Collector's Edition will have for contents

Fallout 3 Collector's Edition Announced [April 18, 2008, 2:48 pm ET] - Viewing Comments
Bethesda Softworks finally officially announces the Fallout 3 Collector's Edition, which was revealed through online listings last week (story). Word is:

April 18, 2008 (Rockville, MD) – Bethesda Softworks®, a ZeniMax Media company, officially announced today that it will release a special Fallout® 3 collector’s edition worldwide for Xbox 360®video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Games for Windows, and PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system. The limited collector’s edition is available for pre-order through participating retailers.

This premium Fallout 3 package, presented in a customized, metal Vault-Tec lunch box, includes the highly-anticipated game, a collectible 5” Vault-Tec Vault Boy Bobblehead, ‘The Art of Fallout 3’ hardcover book, featuring never-before-seen concept art and commentary from Bethesda Game Studios artists, and ‘The Making of Fallout 3’ DVD that includes an inside look at Bethesda Game Studios and the team behind the game.

“We’re very excited about this collector’s edition and believe it truly offers gamers an amazing mix of unique items from the Fallout universe, combined with a great behind-the-scenes look at what goes into developing such an immense title,” said Vlatko Andonov, president of Bethesda Softworks.

Fallout 3 features one of the most realized game worlds ever created. Create any kind of character you want and explore the open wastes of post-apocalyptic Washington, D.C. Every minute is a fight for survival as you encounter Super Mutants, Ghouls, Raiders, and other dangers of the Wasteland.

Currently under development at Bethesda Game Studios – creators of award winning The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion®, the 2006 Game of the Year – Fallout 3 is one of the most anticipated games of 2008 and is slated for release this Fall on Xbox 360, Games for Windows, and PLAYSTATION®3 system.

Fallout® 3 has not yet been rated by the ESRB. For more information on Fallout 3, visit http://fallout.bethsoft.com.
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 19, 2008, 04:59:14 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Fallout 3 -- UPDATE: Collector's Edition details revealed
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, May 07, 2008, 01:54:12 PM »
Composer for FO3
Fallout 3's Soundtrack will be composed by Inon Zur.

For those who don't know some of Inon's work, he has composed some of these games -- BG2: Throne Of Bhaal (Expansion), Crysis, Icewind Dale 2, Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones, and Fallout: Tactics.

EDIT 5-20-2008:
CVG's Latest Preview
New preview from CVG
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 20, 2008, 07:54:37 PM by MysterD »

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Re: Fallout 3 -- UPDATE: Inon Zur to compose the game's soundtrack
« Reply #59 on: Friday, May 30, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
Now this is a funny bit of news.

Al-Qaeda's terrifying vision of a devastated America in the wake of a nuclear attack

Turns out that image is a promo shot for Fallout 3. Good times.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #60 on: Friday, May 30, 2008, 07:13:36 PM »
What the fuck?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #61 on: Friday, May 30, 2008, 09:29:29 PM »
What the fuck?

That was my reaction, too.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #62 on: Saturday, June 07, 2008, 03:43:26 AM »
Collector's Edition:

Survival Edition:

OMG WANT

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #63 on: Saturday, June 07, 2008, 07:22:01 AM »
Is that an actual Pip-boy?   :o

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #64 on: Saturday, July 05, 2008, 06:20:42 AM »
Fallout 3 interview w/ Pete Hines of BethSoft from IGN

IGN AU: What did you learn from making Oblivion? What didn't work?

Pete Hines: There's no giant 'we can't ever do that again' stuff. It's more how do we design quests, what kind of choices do we let the player make, how do we account for things we think the player might try and do and anticipate those? So that they're like 'Oh, I wonder what happens when I do this?' And then there's actually something in the game that acknowledges it and takes it into account. And they go 'that's really cool that I got to finish this quest in a really unique way and the game recognised that and gave me a satisfying response.'

In Oblivion the most extreme example is the bandits, who's armour keeps going up and up as you're playing through the game. Suddenly they've got glass armour and amazing weapons. It was an obvious thing that didn't feel right. So we've spent a lot of time on making sure that the player has the ability to go where they want and do what they want, but to also provide them with situations where they're getting in over their head – so they've got to leave and come back. Or they're getting into situations where they're further through the game and their character is really tough and they get in there and they kick ass and feel like a bad ass for a while because they've spent a lot of time buffing up their character.

We've certainly tried to put more stuff on the screen in front of the player to make the world more believable. The dialogue is much more specific to those characters, as opposed to generic lists of things they can talk about. A lot of it is just tweaking and refining stuff that the player won't even notice. Stuff that we're doing behind the scenes to improve the way the game performs. A lot of it is taking those lessons and learning how to apply them better.
I'm glad there's going to be less generic-stuff in Fallout than Oblivion, when it comes to dialogue -- especially since Fallout was always so specific w/ its dialogue and giving the player tons of unique choices.

Pete Hines: You know, Fallout is a very different game [to Oblivion]. You've gone from swords and melee weapons and one ranged weapon to now where you've got lots and lots of ranged weapons. It almost flips the gameplay balance stuff.

IGN AU: Surely a post apocalyptic wasteland is a tough thing to make look sexy. Were the visuals a challenge?

Pete Hines: Absolutely. That level of detail when you're talking about destruction… and you get down to those DC areas where you've got bars sticking out of concrete and you're rendering out everything… or you've got Megaton with all those wires… Those little details are hard to render and pull off well. But you know for us the benefit is that this is our second go around on this hardware.

The last time (except for the last couple of months) we were doing it on hardware that was changing all the time because it was still in development. So to develop on something that's now stable and we know how it works and we know what we can and can't do…And we've learnt a lot of new tricks about how to make things look better, run faster and have more detail on the screen than before and have all of that run at an acceptable frame rate. I think we've just benefited from several more years of working on stable hardware.
Well, I hope Fallout 3 runs well on PC's -- especially since it is using the Oblivion Engine, which ran well on my aging PC when it came out. And, since Oblivion runs and looks great on that same PC with a GF 8800 GT.

Pete: And to your point, it definitely was a challenge to do blown-up destruction as opposed to a forest. I mean they're both challenging but I think Fallout 3 has been more challenging for sure, in terms of being able to put all that on the screen.

IGN AU: How do the choices you make about whether you play as a good guy or a bad guy affect the game?

Pete Hines: I don't think there are enormous differences. It's more the choices you make on a quest by quest basis. Whether or not you want to play them as a good guy or a bad guy and what the end result of that choice is. So it's not so much about people not talking to you because you're a bad guy with bad karma, as much as it is about using the karma to keep track and keep score on the kind of character you're playing. We want that reward and that payoff to be more in the choices you make and have it be more immediate. 'I'm playing this quest. I chose this path to try and finish the quest this way and how fun or interesting or rewarding was that experience based on the choices I made.' Or if you're playing as an evil bastard we want you to feel like the quest played out in a really satisfying way for me trying to be an evil bastard…
Sounds like Fallout to me -- that everything you do will matter, by the end of the game. Good.

IGN AU: Tell us a little about how the health system being tied to water levels has evolved in Fallout 3.

Pete Hines: It certainly plays off the original games where water was a big focal point - a theme. We've continued on that legacy. Water is a big, important resource in this world. Where you get it and what kind of radiation you take from it and what kind of health you draw from it.

We're playing up this idea that you're in this post apocalyptic world with all this radiation around and how it is affecting you as a player and what sort of impact is it having on you and what you're able to do. It gives you something else to manage and keep an eye on as you move through the world.
Cool.

IGN AU: On the radiation point, if you're choosing to carry the Fatman gun (a mini nuclear bomb slingshot) and use it heavily, will that add to your radiation level?

Pete Hines: The Fatman itself doesn't but if you go into any of the locations where one of its nukes has gone off then that will give you radiation. So if you shoot an enemy over there and an explosion goes off and you wander into it, then there will be radiation in that area for a period of time that you will take damage from.
Okay.

IGN AU: Was it tough balancing the RPG and FPS elements so that both felt right?

Pete Hines: We certainly spent a lot of time on that because we felt that the shooter element, what you're doing minute-to-minute, has to look good and feel fun. If that's all you do for ten minutes it has to feel good. There is all this other stuff you can do behind the scenes. It's not just a shooter. It's not that limited. But the shooting has to be good. Because 99 per cent of people at some point are going to pick up a gun and start shooting stuff and if it doesn't feel right and doesn't look right then we have a big problem. We did spend a lot of time on that because we felt it was important to get it right.

I think from our internal play-testing, and from some folks who've been able to play it recently, the feedback is that it feels pretty good. It's clearly not just a shooter but it holds up well when you're just running around shooting stuff.
Cool.

IGN AU: Is it possible to make the stealth elements as exciting as just running and gunning?

Pete Hines: I don't know about 'exciting'. If you're trying to avoid combat or sneak past stuff it's tough to make that as fun or as visceral as running around blowing something's head off but at the same time if you're rewarding the player with something that's really unique and different, that you're never going to see if you don't play that way, then that's the big thing. If you played it that way then you get to see a robot melt a couple of super mutants' heads off and there's some hilarious dialogue there and you get to see something that you never would have seen otherwise.

The important thing is that the payoff is there and that the gameplay doesn't feel like it's bogged down. It's important to allow the player to play that way and feel like they have the option as opposed to 'I'm playing the game as a stealthy player and there's nothing else for me to do other than to sneak past and avoid everyone all the time.

There're going to be occasions where it's not robots. Maybe you're turning on some turrets and it's killing everything in the tunnels because you snuck past some stuff and hacked into a terminal and turned on the turrets. You feel like you're getting to make choices and do things that feel right for the player you're playing. That's what's most important.

You can't always make sneaking fun and visceral every second but if the overall experience feels like 'I'm getting to do what I want' and it's satisfying, then we feel like we've been successful.
Ahhh, the old turn on the turrets from hacking trick and sneak your way around things. I loved how you could do that in Fallout 2 in the final battle and finish the game w/ just letting the turrets do all the work, if you had that kind of character that fit the bill, of course.

IGN AU: Is it a balancing act between scripting cool, cinematic scenes versus giving players freedom?

Pete Hines: I think the freedom can be up to that point. In other words, you can have different elements and scripted stuff that still feels natural within the context of whatever the player is doing because the important thing is not whether or not you ran across the scripted thing but whether we force you down one alley where there's only one thing to see and everybody sees the same thing. You don't have to do that. All the choices that you made up to that point were real choices. You could have decided to go in guns blazing. You could have decided to just never go there and gone somewhere else. You could have got through the area a different way.

So, it's more like making the player feel like they have their own path. As opposed to, 'I'm in this level. It looks like there are a lot of ways to go but it turns out that every alley I go down is a dead end, every door I try is locked and there's only really one way I can go.' That feels a lot more heavily scripted and constraining. And that's what we try and avoid.

You can do whatever you want. We might have told you to go somewhere but if you don't want to be doing this you can go off and do something else. You don't have to do the main quest if you don't want to. We try and focus more on that as opposed to should we ever use a scripted thing that's going to happen in a certain place. It just depends on what it is and whether this is something we think is really important and we don't want anyone to miss, or whether it's just a little Easter egg that only 10 per cent of people are going to find. You don't want to put a lot of effort into something that's really great and have the vast majority of people miss it.
Yeah, Fallout and Oblivion are two in the same, in one sense -- you don't have to do the Main Quest, you can just wander around and do the side-quest stuff. I'm glad they're keeping that intact for Fallout.

IGN AU: The third-person view didn't feel as slick in Oblivion. How did you develop the first-person versus the third-person views in Fallout 3? Did you focus test both?

Pete Hines: For Oblivion we didn't specifically focus test the third-person view. We did some focus testing and let people play however they wanted to play. For Oblivion you could play it in third-person but it wasn't designed to be a separate way to play the entire game. In Fallout it really has been, particularly because it's gun combat. So things like accuracy become much more important. When you're shooting with a gun, the crosshairs and where the bullets are going have to line-up. Whereas when you're using a sword, if I'm swinging here [gestures at his shoulder] versus here [gestures at his stomach] I'm still swinging at you.

We definitely spent more time on third-person as a real, viable, 'play the whole game in this way' mode. And it is becoming more popular – the third-person, over the shoulder. I definitely think it's a much more playable, viable option than before.
I still wish Oblivion had cross-hairs in third person, for namely when you're shooting arrows -- so you got a clue as to where you're shooting. It's fine when you're just swinging a sword, since it's obvious where you're swinging. :P

I'm glad third-person view's being tweaked for Fallout 3 -- b/c it definitely will be ranged-weapon heavy, given Fallout's nature.

IGN AU: I was intrigued by the custom weapons. The example you gave of the Rock-it Launcher (combination vacuum and a rocket launcher that can suck up and use any object as ammo). Is it possible to use a rock as ammo in the slow-motion VATS shooting mode and watch it cause different animated damage compared to say a bullet?

Pete Hines: I don't want to spoil everything. But we take lots of things into account. We spent a ton of time on VATS and making sure that it's fun and unique. There are still a few things for VATS that we've not talked about yet that add more layers of fun and coolness to that mode.
Okay.

IGN AU: You mentioned that your canine side-kick Dogmeat can be killed off. Are there main characters in Fallout 3 you've chosen to make invulnerable, as you did in Oblivion, for scripting purposes?

Pete Hines: In very few cases we may have folks who either permanently or momentarily can't be killed. In Oblivion there were a lot of guys who got flagged because we didn't want you breaking quests but in Fallout we try and account a lot more for quests being able to continue on without characters being alive. So here's this quest going on. 'Now what happens if the players kills this person?' 'Oh well, then this happens.' 'Well, then, what happens if they kill this person and that person?' 'Well, then this happens.'

We do want to make sure you can continue along the main quest and not fundamentally break your game, but we're able to do that without flagging most folks as essential. This time there's a much larger number of people who can be killed while you still keep playing your game.
Given how big Oblivion was, it made sense to flag certain NPC's w/ the "Can't kill this person" tag b/c BethSoft didn't want to break the Main Quest. But, it still would've been nice to pull a Morrowind and kill a God-like leveled-up character, of course. :P It was nice in Morrowind to be able to kill -- well, anything and anyone -- but if you didn't pay attention the pop-up if you killed a main character that stated "please reload your last save to be able to finish the main quest", you'll (obviously) never finish the Main Quest. Maybe what Morrowind should've done was allow for the player to be able to kill ANYONE in the Morrowind portion of the game once the player finished Morrowind's Main Quest first?

Regardless, I like the idea that Fallout 3 has going on -- some will be killed and you'll still be able to continue; some won't be able to be killed at all. I think a lot of the best games out there have gone this route of doing a little of both -- such as PS:T and The Witcher, since whatever you decide actually does matter and will impact the game, sometime later on.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Fallout 3 Thread -- UPDATE: New Pete Hines interview from IGN
« Reply #65 on: Monday, July 07, 2008, 07:35:37 PM »
12 Skills for FO3
List of skills revealed by Emil Pagliarulo of BethSoft for FO3

Speech
    Small guns
    Big guns
    Energy weapons
    Melee combat
    Unarmed
    Medicine
    Sneak
    Lockpick
    Explosives
    Science
    Repair
    Barter

Interview on FO3
Huge interview w/ BethSoft on what's happening in FO3.

Here's some things from this long thing, that I'll just note below:
1. No SDK to ship with PC version right out the box. If there will be an SDK, it'll be a free download.
2. No child killing (unlike say Fallout 2). If you attack and kids are nearby, they will run off scared.
3. No locations are on the World Map when you start -- you must find them all by foot first. Once you found the place, you can click the world map and go right there.
4. Random encounters ONLY happen when going around on foot. There are no random encounters if you "Fast travel" somewhere by clicking on a location you've been to already on the World Map.
5. PERKS and TRAITS are combined now; so now they're both just considered PERKS. And you can pick a new one at every level-up.
6. You can get ONLY one companion with you; but there are not many of them, they are expensive to hire, and they are hard to get to join you (based on your Karma, Stats, etc etc).
7. Dogmeat's special case, though. So if you get Dogmeat, you can have Dogmeat AND one companion with you.
8. Inventory is set-up and split-up by categories -- Weapons, Ammo, Apparel, Aid, and Misc. Oh, and it's all governed by WEIGHT (like Oblivion).
« Last Edit: Monday, July 07, 2008, 08:41:19 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Fallout 3 Thread -- UPDATE: ALL 12 Skills for FO3 Revealed
« Reply #66 on: Friday, July 11, 2008, 01:43:47 PM »
Tons of Dialogue for FO3
BethSoft claims that their FO3 will have over 40,000 lines of dialogue.

Fallout 3 Has 40,000 Lines of Dialog
- More than 100 character upgrades
By: Andrei Dumitrescu, Games Editor

After the announcement that Fallout 3 would feature more than 300 different endings, Bethesda is again dazzling gamers by saying that there are more than 40,000 lines of dialog in the game. The original release in the series, which many still hold to be the definitive role playing experience on PCs, has less than 20 times the amount of dialog lines.

More information on the post apocalyptic role playing game was offered
by the developers as they answered questions posted by forum visitors.

It seems that it tackles the hard issues which are usually eschewed by videogames, like slavery, homosexuality, drug addiction, child related violence. The player will not see any mature rated image in the game, but the oldest profession in the world is a theme in some of the quests. The developers are keen to point out that the maturity level of the game is in line with that of the first two Fallout releases.

It also appears that the mutants and other non-humans you encounter will be pretty hostile. Only a minority of them will be in a situation where you can talk to them and even persuade them to join your party or help you in other ways.

The game will only allow you to have one companion, other than your trusted mutt Dog Meat. That character will get weapons, armor and other gadgets, which he can then use in battles and adventures.

Speaking of battles, the game is not built to be played without weapons. You can get through some parts by talking your way out or by using your bare knuckles, but you will need to use weapons at certain points.

Fallout 3 is scheduled for a winter release, even though Bethesda says it does not mention any clear date because of the fact that the game will be released when it's done and not sooner.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Fallout 3 Thread -- UPDATE: ALL 12 Skills for FO3 Revealed
« Reply #67 on: Sunday, July 20, 2008, 04:33:25 PM »
Rock-Paper-Shotgun loves the VATS System
Rock-Paper-Shotgun talks about how they love the VATS system over the game's real-time system

That it feels like Oblivion is a pretty important thing to note, I think. Because as a result (and I have to note that I played this with an Xbox 360 pad, not a mouse and keyboard) I didn’t like the real time fighting any more than I did in Oblivion. In fact less, because there was a great and immediate satisfaction to using Oblivion’s bows that the guns of Fallout (or at least, the ones from the early game) don’t have.

But that’s where the V.A.T.S system comes in. It is incredible. I refuse to believe anyone is going to play the game using real time combat when V.A.T.S is available. You see, V.A.T.S. turns every battle into an amazing cinematic event, and not in a lame way like a Final Fantasy game or something. The minute you spot an enemy, you choose your position to attack from, enter V.A.T.S mode, select the body part et cetera (classic Fallout stuff, you know the drill) and watch what happens. The cinematics are generated on the fly and delightfully satisfying. While shooting an enemy stalker (damn, er, just enemy) who is miles away with a pistol is a boring exercise in shooting at a dot, in V.A.T.S you’re able to watch as your bullets batter him with a pounding velocity, crippling his body parts or exploding his head [“or her head, obviously.” – Equal Opportunities Ed.]

During my play time, I had a fantastic battle with a feral dog using the V.A.T.S system, where I selected V.A.T.S the second he leaped for my throat, and popped him in the head repeatedly as he sailed through the air only to land as a sad little doggie corpse.

V.A.T.S removes completely the problem that we’ve all had with the Oblivions system of battles – that they look incredibly stupid – and turn it into something thrilling.

Wired
Wired isn't too thrilled w/ the game's writing.
Gaming Journalist Tom Chick gave his opinion on The Wired piece -- and gives his impressions on FO3 from E3

More Previews
Worthplaying's take on FO3
AtomicGamer has E3 impressions on FO3

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Fallout 3 Thread -- UPDATE: More E3 Stuff
« Reply #69 on: Monday, August 04, 2008, 01:39:35 PM »
About FO3 over in Australia...
As we know, FO3 was going to be banned in AUSTRALIA due to it being heavy on drug-content -- and that the player can use some, too.

Well, Fallout 3 in AUSTRALIA will be released -- but censored, to some extent.
It looks like a good deal of the drug-content will be either toned down or completely removed.

Fallout fans down under are celebrating as the word on the web is that Fallout 3 will be coming to Australia. Initially the game was threatened with the ban hammer over in-game drug use, but The Gamer Chip reports that EB Games, and GAME representatives have assured fans that they will be getting the game in a slightly modified format.

After the announcement that Fallout 3 had been banned, gamers and the media were whipped into a frenzy pointing out that games with similar mechanics, such as BioShock, had been approved. One Australian gamer quipped, "What are the syringes in Bioshock filled with -- magic fairy dust?" The controversy culminated in a rather embarrassing broadcast where a panel of politicians displayed their ignorance of Fallout 3 and video games in general live on ABC's Q&A.

1UP is waiting for the official confirmation from Bethesda itself. Stay tuned for the final verdict on Fallout 3 in Australia.

EDIT:
BethSoft plans for FO3 DLC and more future Fallout games
X360 and PC versions of FO3 will likely get DLC content.
Oh, and beyond that -- there will be more Fallout games from BethSoft, in the future.

Bethesda has plans for Fallout 4
News by Rob Purchese
Yesterday

Bethesda man Pete Hines has said the company "clearly intended" to make more than one Fallout game when it bought the rights to the series.

"The whole reason we went out and acquired the licence and that we now own Fallout is that we clearly intended to make more than one," Hines told TVG. "This is not something we're going to do once and then go away and never do it again.

"When that will be or how long that will be god only knows, but we acquired it specifically because we wanted to own it and develop it and work on it like we do with The Elder Scrolls," he added.

However, Hines publicly talked of sequels after licensing Fallout 3 (and Fallout 4, Fallout 5) back in 2004.

The company acquired full rights to the series from Interplay in 2007.

Fallout 3 is in development for PC, Xbox 360, and PS3. But you will need a PC or an Xbox 360 in order to access downloadable content for the game, as Bethesda announced during E3./quote]

« Last Edit: Monday, August 04, 2008, 05:27:07 PM by MysterD »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Fallout 3 - UPDATE: FO3 in Germany to have some violence censored
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 05:52:43 PM »
Yeah, you don't want your game to be indexed in Germany.  Should that happen you might as well not even bother releasing the game there.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Fallout 3 - UPDATE: 5 New Gameplay Trailers
« Reply #73 on: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 03:34:00 AM »
5 New Gameplay Trailers (HD) @ Gamershell.com

They're all in HD so the filesizes are a little on the heavy side.

The last one, Tenpenny Tower, made me realize how epic this game would feel!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #74 on: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 06:54:28 AM »
I'm probably going to pick up FO3 PC as soon as it comes out, as long as its copy-protection isn't vicious/annoying AND as long as the game's somewhat stable.

That's a few days after my B-day -- it'd be perfect to get, as I'm on vacation (from work) that week FO3 comes out.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #75 on: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 01:46:57 PM »
Fallout 3 Interview
Interview here with Todd Howard on FO3 in MP3 format.
In an interview with Bethesda executive producer Todd Howard we discussed Fallout 3's lack of a MOD support and this generation of consoles. While Howard admits the team wants to add support for user generated content he confesses adding the feature -- which was included in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion -- is a daunting task for a team eager to complete the epic adventure.

"We don't [have MOD support at launch], we want to but we have our hands so full with getting the game out and getting tools out there that work well for people and with the game is a pretty big undertaking," Howard told Joystiq.

DLC Stuff Already planned
They do have DLC plans for FO3. Here's a little more info on their plans with it.
This is from Shacknews with Pete Hines of BethSoft.

Shack: As far as the DLC goes, what type of content should we expect?

Pete Hines: The type is really--we want stuff that's going to be several hours. Not just like a one-off thing, but something like where you can download it and play it for X number of hours. It'll be similar to what we did with Knights of the Nine in Oblivion, where it's like whole new quest lines, new stuff, that kind of thing.

We want to do stuff like that, where it's adding hours of tangible stuff to the experience. And it plugs into your existing game, so whether you're starting a new game, or you're playing for 40 hours, you can go off and play this.

Shack: Will development of that begin immediately after launch?

Pete Hines: It's always flexible. We stopped doing content a pretty good ways before we finished the game in terms of adding new stuff. So we already have folks starting to look into what [the DLC] might be.

GameSpy preview
Here's a GameSpy preview on FO3

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, September 09, 2008, 06:01:20 PM »
More on Fallout 3 censorship.

All versions of FO3 globally (including USA and UK) have been turned into the Australian version.

Basically, BethSoft took all of the drugs in the game that have real actual drug names and gave them new fictional names.

Speaking to Edge, Bethesda has explained what it calls a “misconception” regarding the classification of Fallout 3 in the Australian region. Edge has also learned that due to concerns and issues raised in the process of international classification, Fallout 3 will not contain real world drug references in any territory.

Fallout 3 was originally refused classification by the Australian Office of Film and Literature Classification, citing among other reason the in-game use of “Morphine” in order to ignore limb pain. According to the Office’s guidelines, “material promoting or encouraging proscribed drug use” is refused classification.

In mid-August, the OFLC announced that a revised version of the game had been granted a rating in Australia, thanks to edits that changed the context of the in-game drug use.

While it has been assumed that these changes would only be in place in the Australian release of the game, Edge has been told by Bethesda vice president of PR and marketing Peter Hines that there will be no differences between the version that releases in Australia and the versions that will release in other territories, including Europe and the US.

Calling the idea of an Australia-specific version of the game a “misconception,” Hines told us, “We want to make sure folks understand that the Australian version of Fallout 3 is identical to both the UK and North American versions in every way, on every platform.”

He continued, “An issue was raised concerning references to real world, proscribed drugs in the game, and we subsequently removed those references and replaced them with fictional names. To avoid confusion among people in different territories, we decided to make those substitutions in all versions of the game, in all territories.”

Hines stated, “I didn't want people continuing to assume the version in Australia was some altered version when it's not.” Finally, he explained that, “There are no references to real world drugs in any version of Fallout 3.”

Bethesda has in the past described the landscape of international ratings classification as a challenge. In previous interviews, Hines has referred to the variation of rules and standards across different regions as “frustrating”.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Fallout 3 - UPDATE: FO3 globally to receive Australian version of the game
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, September 09, 2008, 06:24:01 PM »
Nukes, guns, mutants, being able to target individual body parts are fine. But drugs? NOW YOU'VE GONE TOO FAR!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, September 09, 2008, 07:05:13 PM »
STUPID AND LAME.  And then some more stupid.  And lame.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2008, 01:40:41 AM »
Lame, but at least they didn't actually take anything out.