Author Topic: Fallout 3  (Read 218705 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Fallout 3 - Update: GOTY Edition announced for Mid-October (Reply 697)
« Reply #720 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 09:49:10 AM »
Installing Broken Steel was painless.  Also with a bit of memory management, including moving some downloaded arcade games to the new box's internal memory, I actually increased my free HDD space a bit overall.  Within a couple of minutes of playing, I was informed of the raised level cap.  I'm almost at Level 10 now.  Looks like the capitol building will be responsible for at least one level up by the time I finish finding my way through it.  This game is a blast, in more than one way.

I have a question.  I asked Moira about stuff for my house, and she lets me ask her about 3 different things that sound very useful.  But when I tell her to show me the items (from the same menu where I asked about them) I just get her usual inventory of things for sale.  (Nothing for the house.)  What am I missing?

Edit:  Oh, and where the hell is this?

Yeah, that was awesome.  I also absolutely died laughing when he pulled out the railroad gun or whatever it was called, that was firing the huge steel pins and nailed that chick's head to the wall... and those huge gauntlets that were punching people's heads off.  Man I can't wait to get this game.

I'm carrying several hundred railroad spikes now.  Good thing they weigh nothing.

Maybe I have to make it?  Weapon creation is one thing I haven't even looked into.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 10:31:22 AM by Cobra951 »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #721 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 11:34:01 AM »
Yeah, I think thats one of the guns you have to build.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #722 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 06:59:33 PM »
It is.  You'll find the plans and stuff somewhere or other.

And Cobra, she sells the stuff for the house in the regular store inventory.  I forget what category they're under, but you basically buy it and then it magically appears in your house.  It's just a one-shot decorating scheme.  Careful of having too much shit lying around your house before you buy one since stuff will appear and potentially bounce your crap around or who knows what else.  I'd advise picking it all up and shoving it in a locker somewhere first.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #723 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 11:36:22 PM »
Yeah, I finally found them.  The problem is that they aren't in their own category.  They're in the long alphabetical mix with everything else under "Items".  So while weapons, apparel, etc also appear in their own lists, the house items do not.  The inconsistency caused the confusion until I figured it out.

High proficiency with small guns + commando perk + sniper perk + VATS to the head = brain puree all over.  :)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #724 on: Thursday, January 21, 2010, 02:39:27 AM »
Finally got the schematic for the railway rifle yesterday.  Tracked down the components & built it.  I love pegging raiders to the walls.  :)

I find this game almost impossible to put down.  I'm up to Level 21 now.  Got a lot left to explore, and that's before tackling the 5 add-ons in the GOTY.

I'm very impressed by the technical quality here.  Performance is generally very good, with only the rare area that pushes the limit (and drops the frame rate).  It seems once assets are cached properly, everything flows very smoothly.  I haven't had a single game-ending bug, although I did get stuck in the world geometry twice, and had to load my latest save.  Given how enormous this world is, and how long I've been at it (over 100 hours on the clock) that's not bad at all.

I have nothing but praise for Bethesda here.  What a monumental accomplishment.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #725 on: Thursday, January 21, 2010, 06:55:55 AM »
Absolutely.  The game is far from technically perfect, but it's easily their most stable and generally bug-free to date, and for a game of that size it definitely seems like an impressive feat.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #726 on: Thursday, January 21, 2010, 08:54:21 AM »
I had lots and lots of problems with lockups.  I was told that it was probably something do with Bethesda's engines being incompatible with ffdshow, but I had already added the EXE as an exception in the ffdshow preferences.  I haven't given it a shot since I installed Windows 7 RTM.

Offline Schlotzky5

« Reply #727 on: Thursday, January 21, 2010, 09:47:07 AM »
Yeah, I had the PS3 version and though it was initially buggy, Bethesda fixed all the major problems with patches. I loved the game and I've been debating weather to get the DLC or not.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #728 on: Thursday, January 21, 2010, 12:37:59 PM »
I had heard about the early bugs.  The game got patched right away when I first booted it up (on the 360).  I did just get stuck in the world geometry a 3rd time.  It seems to be a problem with cubbyholes underground.  Jumping is awful, true to Oblivion form.  Fortunately, it's not often needed.

I really like how skills and perks stack.  I'm unstoppable now when I sneak and snipe.  This isn't much of a spoiler, and I mentioned something similar above already.

(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #730 on: Sunday, February 21, 2010, 10:02:27 AM »
Interesting.  Yes, Broken Steel basically un-breaks the game ending, and somewhat fixes the level cap.  I consider it an integral part of the game now.  But Bethesda still didn't quite get the complaints about Oblivion.  The purpose of investing time in RPG grinding is to rise above the challenges, not to have some magic hand adjust the challenge (sometimes in cheap ways) so that the player still feels weak regardless.  Bethesda can kiss my ass for bringing in feral ghoul reavers and albino radscorpions, and for making other enemies suddenly tougher than they should be, simply because I level up.  Oblivion-headed horseshit.

I've also played through Mothership Zeta (loved it) and Point Lookout (somewhat tedious, but huge and generally welcome).  I've yet to try The Pitt.  He didn't say much about it other than he liked the intro.  From what I've read, it's one of the weaker additions.  Operation Anchorage I still know very little about.

I'm glad to see the grand reimagining of the Fallout universe getting welcomed by Chris.  I'm curious to know what the original Fallout devs think about it.  The only things I've read are early misgivings (well before FO3 release) about what Bethesda would end up doing with Fallout.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #731 on: Sunday, February 21, 2010, 10:08:47 AM »
Interesting.  Yes, Broken Steel basically un-breaks the game ending.  I consider it an integral part of the game now.  I've also played through Mothership Zeta (loved it) and Point Lookout (somewhat tedious, but huge and generally welcome).  I've yet to try The Pitt.  He didn't say much about it other than he liked the intro.  From what I've read, it's one of the weaker additions.  Operation Anchorage I still know very little about.

I'm glad to see the grand reimagining of the Fallout universe getting welcomed by Chris.  I'm curious to know what the original Fallout devs think about it.  The only things I've read are early misgivings (well before FO3 release) about what Bethesda would end up doing with Fallout.

I agree - it'd be interesting to see what Brian Fargo and some of the old ex-BIS guys think of this all...

I can't wait to see where Obsidian will take FO: New Vegas. Some of what little we already know sounds very interesting.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #732 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 03:22:12 PM »
So, I played this game when it first came out and was thinking about getting into it again.  Would the DLC warrant a purchase in your mind? I'd probably get the GOTY edition (fingers crossed for a sale, STEAM or otherwise).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #733 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 03:26:23 PM »
Tim Cain of former Interplay Fallout fame and Troika fame speaks out on his thoughts on Fallout 3.
And yes, he did like it enjoy it quite a bit.
He works for Turbine currently on MMO's, BTW.

Now, here's the whole interview from Duck and Cover.

DAC: What are your thoughts and opinions on Fallout 3 and its various DLCs from Bethesda? Did you play/finish the game?

Tim: I played and finished Fallout 3 as soon as it came out. I really enjoyed the game, and I think Bethesda’s designers had really done their homework. The game showed they had a deep understanding and knowledge of the key aspects of the original games. I even replayed it a few times to see how I could have different experiences, and I had fun with that.

Of course, I would have done things differently if I had made it.

DAC: What was your initial reaction when you learned that Bethesda bought the license from Interplay?

Tim: I was surprised and a little disappointed. I was hoping that Troika would get the license, but we were massively outbid. But in the end, they made a good game, and I went to a great company to make MMOs, so all was well.

DAC: In a previous interview at Duck and Cover you mentioned that you wrote a design for your own version of Fallout 3. Any chance we could have a peek at that? :-)

Tim: Nope. Sorry. Maybe it will get made one day, but as long as I never show it anyone, I know it will never get made without me.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Fallout 3 - Update: Tim Cain speaks on BethSoft's Fallout 3 (Reply 733)
« Reply #734 on: Friday, March 12, 2010, 07:08:26 AM »
Just about to start Fallout 3 for the very first time ever... any essential downloads/mods that I should be getting a hold of first?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #735 on: Friday, March 12, 2010, 10:11:21 AM »
Don't know about mods.  Que may be a better source here.  Make sure to get the latest patch, because the game is quite buggy out of the starting gate.  I consider the Broken Steel expansion essential, but you can add it at any time, if you really get into the game.  Level cap jumps from 20 to 30, and you get some nasty additional enemies to contend with.

Hope you like it.  I'm still plugging away at my 2nd playthrough.  And I still haven't installed Operation Anchorage.  I'm done with the other DLC.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #736 on: Friday, March 12, 2010, 10:30:18 AM »
Take a look at this thread at Guru3D.

I highly recommend the DarNified UI mod.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #737 on: Friday, March 12, 2010, 10:50:16 AM »
200 years since the bombs fell and somehow everything is tinted green?

I'd get that FWO mod in a heartbeat, if it works well.  I'm sick of the green-yellow palette in this game.  Most of the other graphics enhancements I'm seeing don't interest me too much, and some are changing art entirely, which I don't like.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #738 on: Friday, March 12, 2010, 11:07:35 AM »
Yeah, next time I play I'm getting that and that greenery mod. I know it changes the wasteland look considerably, but really if there was 200 years with zero plant life then nothing would be able to live there.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #739 on: Friday, March 12, 2010, 01:07:18 PM »
Holy crap Xessive. That made me feel quite excited. Nice link. I was going through all those screenshots, and if my brain had a tongue, my head would be full of saliva right now.

Waiting to play this game was probably a good decision. I feel like I am going to be in for a treat.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #740 on: Friday, March 12, 2010, 01:40:20 PM »
Haha I knew you'd appreciate that :D Just like Oblivion ;D

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #741 on: Friday, March 12, 2010, 02:42:21 PM »
Take a look at this thread at Guru3D.

I highly recommend the DarNified UI mod.

So basically, from looking at the pics - DarNified UI makes the fonts smaller?

Thanks for resurrecting this thread - reminds me that I need to pick up FO3: GOTY once it gets much cheaper namely for all the DLC's I missed.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #742 on: Sunday, March 14, 2010, 12:23:36 PM »
In the process of installing after finally finishing the downloads. It was definitely simpler to install them in Oblivion!

edit:

Someone put archiveinvalidation! in a nutshell please.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #743 on: Sunday, March 14, 2010, 04:51:59 PM »
Did you get the GotY edition, Pug?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #744 on: Sunday, March 14, 2010, 11:37:46 PM »
In the process of installing after finally finishing the downloads. It was definitely simpler to install them in Oblivion!

edit:

Someone put archiveinvalidation! in a nutshell please.
Basically it's a set of instructions telling the game engine to prefer files that are not contained in the pack files (.bsa). Basically it's list of files in the archive that are invalidated therefore forcing the engine to look for them in the root folders.

The easiest way to do it for both Oblivion and Fallout 3 is by using the Mod Managers (OBMM or FMM).

And to D, DarNified UI not only shrinks the fonts a little it actually changes some of them completely and redesigns a lot of the interface elements to make them more suited for PC, instead of the console-friendly Duplo style.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #745 on: Sunday, March 14, 2010, 11:44:54 PM »
No I bought the basic original one and then ripped off the DLC actually. :P

I am done installing all the mods, and will use that mod manager before I start playing tonight. Hope for the best. :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #746 on: Monday, March 15, 2010, 08:45:34 AM »
I started and wow, it looks amazing. I just wish I had played the game first for a bit before installing all the mods... :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Fallout 3 - UPDATE: FO3 has gone GOLD
« Reply #747 on: Monday, March 15, 2010, 10:55:54 AM »
All I can say is that every single link I found on google regarding "dead space pc controls" just came with a link to that WhatIfGaming place, so I'm almost ready to cry bullshit.  Seriously, every single link is just someone reporting what they said, and who the fuck ever even heard of these people?  I sure haven't.  And nobody else seems to be complaining, so... I have no idea.  It'd be nice to get a 2nd opinion.

... and after a little more searching, it appears the problem may be related to some systems and not others.  Some people don't have any idea what the naysayers are talking about and report the controls work perfectly fine, or exactly like the console versions.  And some people seem to have issues with mouse/keyboard and controller both, indicating something is up with their rig and the game, not just the game itself universally.  And it very much sounds like something that could be patched up, and hopefully will be soon.  One guy I'm reading here says that when he's in a detail-light corridor and trying to aim, the response is super sluggish, but when he's in an area with tons of detail, his aim flies all over the place super fast.  So there definitely is something funny, and it's definitely not affecting everyone.

EDIT - And why the hell aren't we posting this in the proper thread?  Let's try to keep these discussions over there from now on, where they are infinitely more relevant and less likely to cause Xessive any more heart attacks.

Que, I think when you said that "If it wasn't for Dead Space, the wait would be killing me (for Fallout 3)", then the whole thing went off-topic. GPW asked if it was out for the PC, Pug said it was but posted links saying to beware of the PC version; then on and on and on.

Anyways, back on topic....
Yeah -- next week, Fallout 3 finally comes out! Wo0t!

I don't even know how to respond to you anymore.

;D  ;D  ;D

Just going through this thread again to check up on what I missed...

Anyway... the exchange above is just classic OW. It is surreal. I almost find it impossible to believe that D wasn't joking.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #748 on: Monday, March 15, 2010, 11:35:56 AM »
Haha I go through old threads occasionally, they bring back good ol' memories. I love you guys :D

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #749 on: Thursday, May 27, 2010, 06:33:27 PM »
Fallout 3 - Operation: Anchorage + The Pitt Add-on Pack PC = $7.99 + free shipping.
Fallout 3 - Broken Steel + Point Lookout Add-on Pack PC = $7.99 + free shipping.

So, for all y'all that played ALL the DLC's...
How are they all?

And also - how was Mothership Zeta DLC (since it ain't on disc for DLC's)?
Is it a big deal to miss out on that?

Could always get Zeta off G4WL, if need be - for 800 MS points ($10) or when it goes on sale.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #750 on: Thursday, May 27, 2010, 06:39:12 PM »
It's pretty fun.  Definitely worth the price of admission, plus you get some neat stuff.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #751 on: Thursday, May 27, 2010, 06:43:11 PM »
Seems odd they never released Mothership Zeta on disc, since they released the others...
Or had a 6th DLC so they could double-pack Mothership w/ some other DLC on disc....

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Fallout 3
« Reply #752 on: Thursday, May 27, 2010, 07:57:34 PM »
Broken Steel - Can't imagine the game without it.

Point Lookout - Works like a big added area you can visit and leave at your leisure (though it would get expensive to do it repeatedly before finishing the main quest line).  But it tends to drag.  I didn't care for the foggy, murky, *ugly* ambiance.  There are some entertaining tasks along the way, and you get one of the best perks in the game, thanks to a bug that makes it apply to all enemies, not just one type in particular.

Operation: Anchorage - Sim within a sim.  Complete linearity plus inability to pick up random loot makes it too rigid and perfunctory.  High point: normal outdoor color palette!  Woohoo!  A welcome break from yellow and green.

The Pitt - Interesting.  You get to work your way up from nothing, which I enjoyed.  All you're carrying gets taken away when you get there.  You get it back later on.  Hunting for steel ingots is very tedious.

Mothership Zeta - I enjoyed this.  Well done, with a cast of interesting characters, and as K-man said, you get some great new stuff.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #753 on: Saturday, August 28, 2010, 06:12:33 PM »
Hopefully without giving too much away, if I'm level 6 and all I've really done so far is work a bit on the wasteland survival guide, how far am I from learning to use power armor? I've got some Brotherhood Power Armor (DR 23) and Brotherhood Power Helmet (DR 5), and I can't use them so they're using up a lot of weight. (the stuff I'm wearing now is DR 16 and 2)

Through a quick google search I found that I need to do a quest from Citadel, and I worked my way there but the guards won't let me in. Should I just sell off the armor so it doesn't take up all my carrying capacity? Or can I learn to use it easily?

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #754 on: Saturday, August 28, 2010, 06:49:20 PM »
I'm at 14 now and haven't been able to use it yet although I haven't actively tried to figure out how.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #755 on: Saturday, August 28, 2010, 07:24:18 PM »
I currently have a carrying capacity of 210 and this armor and helmet combined weigh 50. I'm standing in town now, and just sold off all my junk and I'm sitting at 174/210. That would be 124/210 if I sold off this armor or learned to use it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #756 on: Saturday, August 28, 2010, 07:35:22 PM »
Part of the critical mission path will have you learning how to use power armor.  If you wander around a lot seeking side things to do, it may be quite a while before you learn how to use it at the Citadel.  The Operation Anchorage DLC will also leave you with the capacity to wear power armor after you finish it.

The best power armor will increase your strength stat while you wear it, partially mitigating its high weight.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #757 on: Saturday, August 28, 2010, 07:38:52 PM »
Does the weight of what you're wearing factor into how much you can carry? For some reason I was assuming if I equipped the armor, it's weight would be a non issue.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #758 on: Saturday, August 28, 2010, 07:42:45 PM »
No, sorry.  All weight is counted.  There is one exception I know of.  In The Pitt (DLC), the steel ingots you collect won't count toward the total carried as long as you continue searching for them.  As soon as you leave the search area, though, they'll weigh you down (up to 100 lbs).

BTW, this applies to companions as well.  If you give them better armor to wear (highly recommended when applicable) their mule capacity drops accordingly.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #759 on: Saturday, August 28, 2010, 07:48:55 PM »
BTW, this applies to companions as well.  If you give them better armor to wear (highly recommended when applicable) their mule capacity drops accordingly.

Is there some interface for managing companions? The only way I can do anything with mine is to look at him and talk to him. Though he's a dog, so I'm not expecting many options rofl.