Author Topic: iOS Gaming Thread  (Read 142706 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: iOS Gaming Thread
« Reply #600 on: Sunday, March 10, 2013, 08:49:51 PM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #601 on: Thursday, March 21, 2013, 10:47:45 AM »
Lost Cities is on sale for $1.99.

Penny Arcade The Game: Gamers vs Evil will be on sale for 99 cents during PAX. Starts tomorrow.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #602 on: Friday, March 22, 2013, 02:59:18 PM »
So, the future of Ascension:

PLAYDEK AND STONE BLADE ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCE FUTURE PLANS FOR ASCENSION iOS COMMUNITY

Carlsbad, CA, March 21, 2013 -- Playdek, a publisher of digital table top games, and Stone Blade Entertainment, the gaming company behind Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer and upcoming Digital Collecting Game (DCG), SolForge, announced today their joint commitment to supporting the existing iOS Ascension community.

Playdek will support the iOS community through June 2014, with new content including iOS exclusives, and online gameplay. Although cross-platform play will not be coming to the current Ascension iOS app, Playdek will continue to launch new content for the iOS game, including the Ascension: Immortal Heroes expansion in June of this year.

"Playdek has been a great partner and we look forward to continuing to work with them to support the iOS community and to the many more awesome hobby games they are bringing to mobile," said Justin Gary, CEO of Stone Blade Entertainment.

When Stone Blade Entertainment launches Ascension Online on iOS (currently scheduled for July of 2014), Playdek’s Ascension iOS app will be removed from the app store, but Playdek will continue to support online play through the remainder of 2014.

With SolForge in development, Stone Blade Entertainment is ready to bring its own products to the digital space, and will be launching Ascension Online on PC and Android. Stone Blade Entertainment is committed to supporting their new community and to take on the existing Ascension iOS community. The company will research ways to transition users, so that those who purchased content on iOS will not have to repurchase that content in Ascension Online. All content purchased for Android and PC versions of Ascension Online will automatically transfer to Ascension Online when it comes to iOS.

Playdek applauds Stone Blade Entertainment’s commitment and will look to support them in making their eventual iOS customers whole.

“It has been a pleasure to work with Stone Blade on a great IP like Ascension, and we look forward to serving the incredible iOS community for this game,” said Joel Goodman, CEO of Playdek. “We support Stone Blade in its future efforts and wish them the best as they take Ascension to new consumers.”

Stone Blade Entertainment and Playdek are grateful to the fans that have supported them. Both companies share the same mission of bringing quality hobby games to the mobile space and feel that their commitment has shown in their respective work to date. Both companies deeply appreciate their customer’s understanding as they work through the logistics of this transition. Playdek and Stone Blade Entertainment look forward to continuing to launch the top quality games players have come to expect.
So it's a weird situation. It's cool that the original creators of the card game are going to make a new cross platform version that they can dedicate more time to. Playdeks version is great but behind on expansion releases and Playdek is busy with lots of various apps now. But it also sucks that the app will eventually disappear and its currently unknown if they will be able to transfer our expansion purchases into the new game. But on the third hand...what have I spent, like $10? If that? I've had a lot of fun with the game and its going to be at least another year+ before I have to make the switch. Rebuying them wouldn't be the worst thing. I guess it'll come down to how good the new app is. They have a lot to live up to.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #603 on: Friday, March 22, 2013, 10:18:49 PM »
Speaking of Playdek (and further showing why they can't focus on Ascension), they inked a deal with Wizards of the Coast to bring the Dungeons & Dragons line of board games to iOS as "other platforms". Fingers crossed for Lords of Waterdeep!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #604 on: Friday, March 22, 2013, 10:32:58 PM »
Oooh, that'd be sexy.

But yeah, I'm with you. I love those games, got a lot out of them, and if it came down to some super-awesome upgrade that really improved things, I wouldn't mind spending more as an excuse to get back into it. I played the shit out of the core Ascension.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #605 on: Saturday, April 06, 2013, 10:43:32 AM »
Some freebies for you. Act fast.

Crow seems to be a highly rated game.
Wrathborne looks like a Diablo-like game.
IGN is giving away codes for Horn, which looks pretty interesting.
The Jim and Frank Mysteries appears to be kind of Professor Layton-ish. Theres HD for ipad as well as a regular version. They are switching ownership from Chillingo, hence the free status. Plus all in app purchased chapters are free so if you want them, get in there now.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #606 on: Thursday, April 18, 2013, 08:29:34 AM »
You can grab Plunderland for free. I bought it a year or two ago, its pretty cute and fun. Physics pirates!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #607 on: Friday, April 26, 2013, 08:17:38 AM »
Ticket To Ride Europe Pocket is free today! Grab it!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #608 on: Friday, May 17, 2013, 09:11:59 AM »
Table Top Racing can be had for the low low price of nothing. Ex-Wipeout devs making a Micro Machines inspired game? Ok with me!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #609 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 02:10:21 PM »
Playdek is having a Memorial Day sale. All their apps and in-app purchases are 99 cents. Ascension, Nightfall, Food Fight, Fluxx, Penny Arcade, and Summoner Wars. Summoner Wars is a free download and then you can pick up the "Everything Bundle" which gets you all the current armies and reinforcements for 99 cents.

Also on sale is Small World. $3, iPad only. Now would be the time to grab it since they just completed a kickstarter to release Small World 2 with all sorts of updates, which will be a free update to this app! Otherwise i believe the price will be going up.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #610 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 11:24:27 PM »
I don't really know what to expect from Hiversaires (currently free), but this description has me intrigued.

Hiversaires is a cryptic point & click adventure game in a textless world.

Created for the players who remember the times when you had to draw maps, the dark labyrinth of Hiversaires features an original Aliceffekt soundtrack to guide you through its networks of corridors entangled.
Screens look...interesting? I'm gonna give it a shot.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #611 on: Saturday, June 15, 2013, 12:05:36 AM »
Scurvy Scallywags is free. New game from Ron Gilbert, strangely enough. A match-3 game with pirates. I've heard good things.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #612 on: Saturday, June 15, 2013, 09:17:55 PM »
Scurvy Scallywags is pretty interesting. Yes, its match-3 but it has a few differences.

New pieces slide in in the same direction you slid the last match. This lets you direct pieces around, which is really handy since you are also a piece on the board. Special quest items will come onto the board so you will want to manipulate pieces not just to make matches but to also help you grab those quest items. Enemies also appear, so you need to be careful not to get them near you until you are ready to fight them (matching swords builds your power, if your power is greater than the enemy then you can fight it).

So its got some neat additions than being straight up bejeweled. Plus you're attempting to find the lyrics to a sea shanty...which is sung when you find them. Its pretty great. You also pick up items and can upgrade your ship, find new outfits and stuff for your pirate which give you bonuses. Its pretty substantial, actually.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #613 on: Monday, June 17, 2013, 08:33:36 PM »
Agricola came a few days ago. Board game app from Playdek so...you know. $7 gets you in on that.

2K announced that the iOS XCOM port will be out this Thursday for $20. Apparently this is the same game as the PC/Console versions. Differences being cutscenes are now stills and text "reports" or some such, and some extra maps have been cut to save space. Sucks about the maps but it seems like an unwritten rule to keep apps under 2GB.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #614 on: Thursday, June 20, 2013, 06:29:13 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but gaming on iOS is generally terrible.  It shouldn't be, but 99.99% of the games I've played have really hampered my spirit for gaming in general.  It's hard to describe, but even in games that aren't horrifically molested by IAPs, there seems to be no soul to anything released on this junk.  I've been disappointed for so long, the only solace I find is the fact were seeing more games like XCOM and KOTOR coming out.  One can only hope quality comes back into the picture, because even in games with "quality" like Modern Combat 4, I find empty wastes of time.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #615 on: Thursday, June 20, 2013, 07:01:05 PM »
I generally agree. There is a lot of garbage on iOS. Its a real shame, because theres also some really pretty excellent stuff if you're willing to search it out.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #616 on: Thursday, June 20, 2013, 11:20:12 PM »
Yeah, there's just not enough.  I just wish they cared enough to even try to compete with handheld gaming. The hardware is clearly capable enough, yet there is a distinct difference between "handheld" and "mobile."  Even sites like IGN find it okay to rate mobile games and score them relative to the troves of shit that pump through.  I feel like its impossible sometimes to find mobile game reviews that get less than 4/5 star ratings - no matter how shitty. (Maybe I'm exaggerating a LITTLE... But I'm pissed!)

Anyways, I'll redeem my post by adding something I don't think I saw mentioned: Crimsonheart

Korean ARPG.  Hilariously bad translation. Fantastic gameplay.  I put about 60 hours into this beast... Not something I can say for almost ANY game recently.  There's a lite version too, not sure what it entails though.  This is worth the .99

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #617 on: Wednesday, June 26, 2013, 08:59:01 PM »
This one might be cool. Layton Brothers Mystery Room. Free download gets you I believe the first 2 cases, then you buy packs 3-6 and 7-9, and I saw reports that it would only be $5-6 for everything. Anyway, its not a puzzle game like Professor Layton, but more in common with the Ace Attorney series. You find clues and solve crimes. Oh yeah!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #618 on: Monday, July 08, 2013, 05:06:53 PM »
Go hit the app store for some freebies. Infinity Blade 2, Tiny Wings, Sword & Sworcery EP, and Where's My Water? are all free.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #619 on: Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 10:18:08 PM »
Hey look, a shotgun Zombies!!!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #620 on: Monday, August 05, 2013, 09:12:33 PM »
zomg! Does it suck? That's really tempting just to see how it actually plays.

I've been playing a few things here and there. Mostly rymdkapsel. Which if you haven't checked out, it's pretty cool. Very minimalist kinda thing, a bit zen. Surprisingly fun. I've gone through one game, and I died horribly. Also picked up Forever Lost, which I haven't tried yet but am eager to check out. Tiny Wings is a fun timekiller, Pawn'd is... a fun concept but not different enough to not just be another match 3 game, really. Snagged Tiny Thief for a buck but haven't tried it. Finally tried Peggle. I don't get what the big deal is. It's sort of fun, but I almost feel like beyond certain circumstances there's really not much chance to use any real skill or intuition. Tried Mirror's Edge, which I think I must have gotten for free but I don't remember. It's... well, you run and jump a lot. It probably gets more interesting and deeper as it goes, but the first level or two didn't grab me. Impossible Road is just what it says: completely fucking impossible. I got Kairo a while back and love love the idea, but still haven't given it much of a shot for some reason. Same with Year Walk, which is super cool but these two just seem to be the kinds of games I don't want to play on my iPod.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #621 on: Monday, August 05, 2013, 09:51:55 PM »
Zombies actually went on a 99 cent sale but I missed it. I havent taken the plunge because I hear it can get choppy on anything less than the newest hardware. Which is a bummer.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #622 on: Thursday, August 29, 2013, 05:34:16 PM »
So Terraria came out for iOS, and I can't play it because it only runs on newer hardware. That said, I'm super excited because Junk Jack X, which I'd thought was only going to be for newer hardware (which is why they were abandoning Junk Jack to begin with) is apparently totally okay on my iTouch 3G. So multiplayer, multiple worlds, new environments, tons of new stuff, yay! I love this fucking game too much. And of course it has to release right as school gets back in. Damn it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #623 on: Thursday, August 29, 2013, 06:51:21 PM »
I don't know how well Terraria would end up working on a touchscreen. But I should check out Junk Jack again. I did when it was really early but they updated that thing a ton.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #624 on: Thursday, August 29, 2013, 08:53:18 PM »
Yeah, they really did a ton with it, and now this new version has a ton more stuff, and this one will be getting lots more updates like the old one did. It has liquids now, which are... odd. Sorta hoping they work with that a little. They're more like springs rather than set amounts, so they sort of never stop, but will develop "currents" that you can kind of see and will flow thusly (kind of fun, you can make ladders out of waterfalls, basically... and there's lava too), it's just all a little odd. I haven't seen any of the new environments yet, but apparently there are 4 or 5 different planet types. You start with the basic earth one and you can find portal pieces or something that let you travel to others. Once you visit, you can generate those worlds fresh any time you want as well. They did a massive overhaul to the interface and help/recipe systems, which is a godsend. Overall it's a solid update and given what I've read about, I'd say easily worth the 5 bucks. I'd love to try multiplayer sometime if anybody grabs it. No clue how that works.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #625 on: Monday, September 02, 2013, 09:09:37 AM »
Having lots of fun with the game. Just getting in a few minutes here and there, I keep finding all kinds of new crazy stuff. Finally found my first portal piece, and it makes me wonder whether the new worlds open up in sequence or randomly. Looking at the shop, it appears there are 4 new ones. So you start with Terra, which is the original earthy Junk Jack world, and there are 4 more to open up. I don't know if each has individual variable biomes or if they're just big single-biome worlds, but still, that's pretty cool. The wiki hasn't been updated with any of this new stuff yet, so it's really hard to say exactly what there is or isn't around. All I've seen so far is a big purple alien-looking world and a desert world (which I've only seen from videos). The other two remain a mystery.

EDIT -

« Last Edit: Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 05:11:02 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #626 on: Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 08:54:03 AM »
Damnit, I'm going to have to get that.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #627 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 03:41:35 PM »
You should also consider grabbing Scurvy Scallywags, which is really fun and very piratey. The core mechanic is quite compelling. It's a match 3 with RPG-ish elements (not to the extent of Puzzle Quest or anything, but still relevant), but the big shift is that there are actual monsters on the board and you've got an actual pirate character. You move them on the board by playing the game, and it lets you manipulate the direction new tiles come in from by the direction that you swap pieces, thus letting you keep enemies away from you while you build up power, or trying to run yourself away or force them away when you don't have enough power to kill them. Quite fun! And a great sense of humor.

I've also been playing a bunch of Time Surfer, which is stupendously good. It's an iteration on Tiny Wings, just way more complex and way faster (spikes, planet rings to grind, asteroids, aliens, and a time-reversal mechanic). Also has two modes aside form the standard: a Hell Mode which is half impossible, and Kepler Run which throws black holes into the mix and forces you to really use them to slingshot yourself forward to keep your momentum going.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #628 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 03:54:09 PM »
I have Scurvy Scallywags. I liked it, was an interesting twist on match 3 games.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #629 on: Monday, September 16, 2013, 03:36:47 PM »
Ascension is free! Grab this shit, one of the best games on iOS.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #630 on: Monday, September 16, 2013, 03:55:47 PM »
It really is. I love the piss out of that game.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #631 on: Friday, September 20, 2013, 08:00:04 PM »
Shantae: Risky's Revenge is free right now to build interest in the Kickstarter for the next Shantae game. Normally a platformer without buttons I would ignore, but hey for free I'll check it out. This is a port of the DS eshop game, but I don't have a DSi or a 3DS (yet).

NOTE: There are 2 versions of this game on the app store. The one I linked is the full version. The other is the same but sort of a limited demo with the ability to unlock the full game as an in app purchase. That one is also free but you'll have to make sure to buy the IAP before the sale ends. So if you can, just grab the full one directly and not have to worry about it. I only mention this if you go searching on your device itself so you don't grab the wrong one and think "I'll play that a little later" and miss the sale.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #632 on: Saturday, September 21, 2013, 06:25:13 PM »
Ascension is free! Grab this shit, one of the best games on iOS.

Nice.  I just grabbed it and it is quite fun.  Now I'm tempted to get the expansions because it's hard to find an online game that doesn't use them.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #633 on: Monday, September 23, 2013, 01:18:46 PM »
Interesting info from Playdek at TGS.

Playdek Partners with Yasumi Matsuno
Yasumi Matsuno is the designer of games like Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, and Final Fantasy XII. Playdek has partnered with Matsuno to bring his original setting, called Unsung Story, to mobile. Unsung Story is a setting on the world of Rasfalia, and is a fantasy setting where knights, wizards, etc. all compete after a 50-year long civil war.

There will be 2 games released in the Unsung Story universe, the first will be co-designed by Christophe Boelinger and Matsuno, and it will be a digital card game intended to introduce the world of Rasfalia. The second game, Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians, will be completely designed by Yasumi Matsuno and will be a tactics game.

Also they will be releasing Tanto Cuore for iOS soon. AKA Pervy Dominion.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #634 on: Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 02:41:01 PM »
Stardock getting into iOS
Q&A here

First game is Dead Man’s Draw, which sounds like a rethemed version of Somnium from the Civ4 mod Fall From Heaven, which was made by  Derek Paxton, who now works at Stardock. Somnium was really fun and I would play the mod just to play that card game, so now they are releasing a standalone version with a pirate theme? Hell yes.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #635 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 03:53:30 PM »
That sounds great!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #636 on: Friday, September 27, 2013, 11:44:16 AM »
Ghost Stories is free, but iPad only. Difficult co-op boardgame. I'm grabbing it just in case I ever do end up with an ipad.

Pocket Trains is out and free. Made by Nimblebit, the Tiny Tower/Pocket Planes guys. This is much like PP but with trains, but has enough differences that might make it a little more involved than PP. There can only be one train per line, so you need to move cargo and cars around on various lines to get them to their destinations. It feels more interesting because now you want to optimize your routes to better move things about. Like it's a good idea to have a central hub city with a bunch of trains coming in and out and upgrade its storage capacity. Then you just have trains shuttle things through the central station.

I've only played a little so far but its interesting.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #637 on: Saturday, September 28, 2013, 11:48:51 AM »
My little railroad empire.

Munich is my major destination, upgraded its layover storage capacity so all my trains move cargo to Munich to then take back out the stuff for their own lines. So far this is working out well, but since I don't have enough money to do a lot of extending of lines its a little micromanagey at the moment. I think the longest route I have is only 5 minutes.

Like I mentioned in the last post, it seems more interesting than Pocket Planes.  In PP your plane had a radius and if it could reach a city then you could just fly there and deliver stuff. PT you only have one train per line so you need to work up an efficient plan to move cargo around, like my central hub.

One thing thats odd is how the cargo is...I dunno, generated? In PP the passengers and cargo were all a single list so any plane in that airport could take them. The job list would refresh on a timer. Pocket Trains is different. There is no timer refresh, instead it refreshes when a train reaches the station. On top of that, each train sees its own job list. The only shared things all trains can see are the layover cargo you have there. So for example my train to Amsterdam might see a cargo for Paris, but my Paris train won't see it. So I will have to move the cargo to Amsterdam and then maybe expand my route to get it there. In other words, it's probably best to have 2 paths to get cargo into a city. It doesnt happen too often but sometimes its a really good cargo and you cant just attach it to the train you want.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #638 on: Sunday, September 29, 2013, 12:32:50 PM »

Expanded some lines, but the main update is the new circular track (orange). I have a really fast metro train running on it. I put it in to help deal with trains seeing cargo for cities they can't connect to in Munich. So if there some badass cargo worth 15 bux for Paris but my Budapest train gets it, I can run it out to Budapest and have the metro ferry it over to Paris. Its also useful for those  high value cargo coming in from the second stops out. I can drop them off in the outer ring and allow the trains to pick up more Munich cargo.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #639 on: Tuesday, October 01, 2013, 09:58:39 PM »
Not a game, but Colors! went free for today, which is the first time it has ever been free. Originally a homebrew drawing app for the Nintendo DS they now have iOS and 3DS versions you can buy. Or...download for free today on iOS. One of the coolest things is the ability to view a gallery of drawings by other users and watch a replay of the drawing being made. Definitely grab it if you can.