Author Topic: iOS Gaming Thread  (Read 141939 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: iOS Gaming Thread
« Reply #640 on: Wednesday, October 02, 2013, 12:22:50 PM »
Stardocks first iOS gameDead Man's Draw is out now for $1.99.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #641 on: Wednesday, October 02, 2013, 10:13:45 PM »
So I jumped on Dead Man's Draw because I liked it when it was part of a mod but now its pirate themed and I no longer have the mod files.

The basic game is really simple. There are 10 suits with cards numbered 2-7. You draw cards off the deck and can decide to stop at any time. If you draw 2 cards of the same suit, you bust and lose all the cards you drew that turn. If you decide to quit, you keep those cards in your hand. Their numbers are added together to give you your score but only the highest numbered card in each suit will be counted.

This version also has cards doing special things when you draw them. When you draw a cannon card it lets you discard a card from your opponents hand (bringing their score down). Swords let you steal a card from your opponent as long as its from a suit you have no cards in. One of the other cards will let you see the top card of the deck for the next draw. They are all pretty interesting and are unlocked as you play and level up. Its neat.

Dunno what else leveling up is for other than unlocking portraits to use. You also win gold but I don't really see anything to spend it on, but maybe that comes later. You can also spend real money to buy gold so there must be a use for it somewhere.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #642 on: Wednesday, October 02, 2013, 10:22:09 PM »
Tanto Cuore is out for $2.99. Universal.
Pandemic is also out. $6.99, but sadly iPad only.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #643 on: Friday, October 04, 2013, 09:58:50 AM »
I grabbed Tanto Cuore because I'm a total whore for Playdeck and deckbuilding
(click to show/hide)
. It seems interesting but working through the terminology is tricky. Just seems like the terms used only barely hint at what they are used for. I mean...you hire maids with "Love" instead of money. Also this game was pretty much made for iPads. The text is really small in the tutorial and card text is tiny. Might want to pass if you are iPadless.

In other news, this is a real thing thats happening.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #644 on: Saturday, November 02, 2013, 10:37:29 PM »
Dead Mans Draw is free! Grab it, it's pretty cool.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #645 on: Tuesday, November 12, 2013, 06:19:34 PM »

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #646 on: Tuesday, November 12, 2013, 11:50:54 PM »
I know man. Its coming this month, too. I am hyped and hopeful Playdek still caters to use Apple tech luddites.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #647 on: Thursday, November 21, 2013, 05:59:55 PM »
It's out! And guess what? It plays great and is generally readable on my old, tiny screen! I only played the tutorial, but I came away really impressed. It's a bit sluggish sometimes later in the game when the computer's thinking (like how Ascension sometimes gets bogged down), but nothing too bad, and while I was concerned at first because some cards wouldn't zoom much when tutorial messages were up, they got bigger when the tutorial let me finish the game on my own. They still aren't perfect, but it's in line with Ascension rather than Tanto Cuore.

And the game itself seems really nice. Like ... it allows for consideration and strategy, but it doesn't move at a snail's pace or take a billion years to finish a game. Nor does it feel like it's going to get too stale too quickly, since there seems to be a good variety of cards, ways the game can shift, and different things to focus on based on whatever Lord you're dealt.

Impressed! I can see this being a wonder of a game on the table, but since I can't really do that, I'll definitely settle for this.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #648 on: Thursday, November 21, 2013, 07:17:30 PM »
Awesome. Got a book store trip planned for tomorrow so hopefully I can buy and download it then. Very much looking forward to giving it a spin.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #649 on: Thursday, November 21, 2013, 07:46:40 PM »
We should definitely try to play sometime. I should really come on IRC some night when I have free time and so we could just chat and play stuff.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #650 on: Thursday, November 21, 2013, 08:06:02 PM »
My wifi hasnt been working for the last few weeks. I think I need to reinstall Windows and it should go but....ugh, I dont want to.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #651 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 06:10:44 AM »
That's the worst. Especially when it doesn't fix anything. I did a reformat a while back because my system has been running slow. It's now running slower than ever. No idea what's wrong with it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #652 on: Wednesday, December 04, 2013, 10:21:12 AM »
Wifi is working! So I'll have to get Lords of Waterdeep soon.

Carcassonne is on sale for $6.99. This is the first time its ever been on sale, and this game came out in 2010. It's pretty fantastic. The sale is to build hype for the next expansion comign soon, "The Dragon and the Princess"

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #653 on: Wednesday, December 04, 2013, 02:22:18 PM »
That game is wonderful, but I find myself not playing it very often. I'm never quite sure why, as I always love it. I think a lot of it is that I want to play these games WITH people, as they were intended. But I more or less can't.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #654 on: Tuesday, December 24, 2013, 10:12:49 AM »
Skulls of the Shogun is free for Christmas!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #655 on: Wednesday, February 26, 2014, 02:23:19 PM »
Out There is coming out tonight it seems. Guess it will also be on Android as well, with PC/Mac later. Has a real FTL sort of vibe, but more focus on exploring and survival than combat.