Author Topic: Fallout 3  (Read 218669 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Fallout 3 - UPDATE: FO3 globally to receive Australian version of the game
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2008, 06:54:31 AM »
True.  They could have removed it, but at least they merely edited it.  But it's still lame.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2008, 01:57:20 PM »
True.  They could have removed it, but at least they merely edited it.  But it's still lame.

The real problem here is the Australian game-rating board has no rating over the 15+ rating. There's just no M-rating equivalent (17+) or AO rating equivalent (18+).

So, that doesn't help games that are aiming for the ESRB's M-rating (or above) or the UK's 18+ rating, when they try to bring that same exact game over to the Australian game-rating board to get it approved to be for sale over there in Australia.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #82 on: Thursday, October 02, 2008, 08:26:54 PM »
Shacknews talks to Pete Hines on FO3

The Fallout 3 PC Interview: Bethesda on DRM, Censorship and Consolification
by Nick Breckon Sep 30, 2008 11:07pm CST

After playing a few hours of the PC version of Fallout 3 earlier today, I sat down with Bethesda's Pete Hines to talk about serious PC business.

What kind of DRM will be included on the Fallout 3 disc? Will the PC version suffer from console interface holdovers a la Oblivion? Is the company optimistic about supporting the PC platform in the future? Read on to find out.

Shack: Is the game done?

Pete Hines: Every day we're one day closer. We're right to the end of it.

Shack: A lot of the big releases this fall are getting day-one patches to meet their deadlines. Are you considering anything like that?

Pete Hines: No. I mean you don't just assume now it's perfect and we'll never have to do anything, but we're not actively working on some fix for something.

Shack: After the Australia ratings board banned the game, you guys made some changes to the names of real-world drugs, which will now show up in all versions of the game. What did you think of the fan reaction to that?

Pete Hines: It is seriously the biggest non-issue in the history of video games. It got way more attention than it merits.

Shack: Do you think that anybody's going to even notice?

Pete Hines: Have you noticed? Does it make a big difference that it's called something other than Morphine? I mean, who gives a--

Shack: Still, does it frustrate you to have to make changes based on the ratings board?

Pete Hines: No. As I said, Australia weren't the only folks that had brought this up. It had actually been brought up in a number places. Like, "Hey, referencing real prescribed drugs is kind of a little concerning."

And we went back and looked at it and went, "It's not like it's in the original game, we just made it up. So why not just change it to another made-up name?" It's the same thing called something else. We couldn't possibly care less.

Shack: Similar question in the sense that it's an issue that can be overblown. What kind of copy protection will be included on the PC version of Fallout 3?

Pete Hines: Pretty similar to what we did for Oblivion, which was--we basically don't do any--we do the mildest form possible. I actually don't know if I even want to get into what it is that we exactly do, but we try to be really noninvasive when it comes to that stuff. [ed- Oblivion employed a simple DVD check.]

And it is a pain in the ass--it is a pain in the ass that we have to do it at all in the first place. But when you spend tens of millions of dollars, we don't think it's right to just put something out there and let everybody do whatever they want and pass it around.

And to have to support all of that--which is often the unspoken thing that nobody really wants to point to. You can argue all day whether or not somebody would have bought a copy of a game they pirated, but you can't argue, and you will never win the argument that I'm not having to provide tech support for those folks. Because I know for a fact that we are. We catch those folks all the time, where we're providing support for somebody who turns out didn't actually pay for the game and just downloaded a copy.

Shack: We've heard that as far as tech support calls go, the amount of pirates asking for support can be greater than the amount of legitimate users.

Pete Hines: We don't have any specific data on it, but we can look across platforms, and when these two platforms are like this [gestures with a hand] and this platform is like this [raises a second hand much higher] and these two platforms you can't pirate games, and this one you can, you can start to draw some inferences as to what the cause for that gigantic chasm might be.

But no, we're pretty mild about how we do it, and we try to do it in a way that prevents folks from exploiting and distributing our games that we worked very hard on, and that we feel we have a right to try and sell and not have distributed free without our okay. It's very important for us not to ruin the experience for the person who did buy a copy, so we try to be very careful.

Shack: I can't recall what Oblivion did, but will there be any install limit on Fallout 3?

Pete Hines: That's a good question. I don't actually know. [ed- Fallout 3 has no install limit.]

Shack: So you'd say you're very concerned about day-one piracy, but--

Pete Hines: Yeah, it's a huge problem. Huge.

Shack: As far as piracy solutions, there's nothing that you are looking at, even down the line, post-Fallout 3?

Pete Hines: [pause] Mm.. yeah, I don't know if I would want to get into it. We are looking at some of the stuff that folks do.. I think Valve has a good solution. They certainly took their lumps when Steam first came out, but it does seem to be a pretty widely accepted method, and certainly the easier that we can make it without it being a pain in the ass, the more likely we are to do it.

We always talk about in our games, about wanting to avoid the negative. We want to remove anything that is a hindrance or an annoyance to the player, we're trying to just get to the game and have fun. The interface, or whatever it is--we take that [attitude] all the way to our manuals, the amount of time I spent writing our manual, and trying to make sure that we cover all the bases, because I don't want that to be an annoyance to somebody. Or the DRM, and making sure that we're trying to protect something that we spent a lot of money developing, but not prohibiting somebody who bought a legitimate copy from getting into the game and having fun right away.

Shack: So what about Steam? Are you guys thinking about getting Fallout 3 on there?

Pete Hines: We're thinking about a lot of stuff. I don't actually know if any of that is set in stone yet, but hopefully there will be multiple digital distribution options for folks that want to go that route.

Shack: Did you put a lot of work into optimizing the PC version, and accounting for people with older machines?

Pete Hines: Yeah, we've been working with folks like Nvidia and having them do compat testing and optimization stuff, and looking at how the game plays on Nvidia cards. We've been doing some stuff with Alienware, specifically testing on different configurations of their machines. So we are trying to do our due diligence on the PC and make sure it runs as advertising.

But the problem on the PC, it's just not--you have a 360, you have the same thing that everyone else has. When you talk about a PC, how much RAM you have, do you have the right video card driver, the right sound card drivers, are you running all kinds of applications in the background that are eating up memory or trying to interrupt the process of the game and makes the game crash--you don't have any of those problems on the 360 or PS3.

So we try as much as we can for account for everything that we can account for, but the killer is all the variables you have no control over. I don't even know if I have the right drivers for anything on my home PC. It's something that you have to spend a bit more effort as a consumer.

Shack: Would you say the PC platform is something you plan on supporting in the long run?

Pete Hines: I think we are. We've been a PC developer for 20 some years now, more than most of the folks that are still around in this industry. That's where we got our start from, and we still think there's a market for it.

We try and take a global view. So while here in the US the consoles definitely do really, really well, globally there are still a lot of places where people still like and enjoy PC games.

Shack: Germany, and..

Pete Hines: Germany it's huge. It does very well here in the States, but you know, Russia, Poland, lots of eastern European places, tons of folks are still playing on the PC and we would never want to just shut ourselves off from those clients.

Shack: When games developed primarily for the console are brought to the PC, sometimes they can be criticized for being "console-ified." I know you guys dealt with some of that in the case of Oblivion. As far as Fallout 3, playing the PC version myself, it felt like a fairly intuitive version.

Pete Hines: I hope so.

Shack: Is that something you were focusing on with the PC version?

Pete Hines: That was the goal, to have it feel intuitive with clicking. And it actually does work with the 360 controller as well. It does both, so if you play it with the controller, it works like it does with the 360. You play it on the PC, and it's much more tactile, clicking on stuff.

And I think we did a better job--you know, with Oblivion there were some issues with the interface, the font, and the number of things you could see in your inventory wasn't scalable for PC resolutions. But I think that we've done a better job with that with Fallout. So hopefully folks will feel like we've taken care of them on the PC.

Shack: As far as the DLC goes, do you expect that to be simultaneously released on both Xbox 360 and the PC?

Pete Hines: Yeah, yeah, that's the plan. Absolutely.

Shack: Thanks Pete.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Fallout 3 - UPDATE: Pete Hines talks about piracy, copy protection, and FO3
« Reply #83 on: Thursday, October 02, 2008, 08:35:57 PM »
I really like Pete.  Something about the stuff he says always makes me feel better.  Anyway, that was a nice little interview... it makes me happy and looking forward to FO3 even more.  Since the PC CE really isn't very expensive, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be ordering it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #84 on: Thursday, October 02, 2008, 08:45:26 PM »
Yeah, I like Pete Hines, too. He seems like a good egg.

Yes, it was a pretty good interview.

I found it very interesting when he mentioned that in many cases about tech support, tech support is often helping the pirates out! LOL. Damn, pirates can be ballsy, can't they?  :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #85 on: Friday, October 03, 2008, 12:11:14 PM »
I like Shacknews so much.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #86 on: Friday, October 03, 2008, 10:38:34 PM »
This may be old news, but I really haven't followed FO3 that closely, so this is some of the first recent footage I've seen.  It looks great!  VATS seems to be up to the challenge, the visuals seem pretty fluid, and the opening is great.  I mostly just watched it for the opening bit, but the gameplay didn't disappoint.

The big downer there is that DLC will be exclusive to 360 and PC.  That blows.  No reason at all for that.  Why would you give DLC to the fucking console that doesn't have a standard hard disk?  I'm not an idiot so I'll be playing it on my PC, but still.  Though they said the same thing about GTAIV for 360, and I don't think we've even seen DLC for it yet, have we?  It makes no sense that they'd cut off a portion of the market, so you have to think that the exclusivity will only last for a short while.

Anyway, forgive me if that's old news.  Like I said, I haven't been paying attention.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #87 on: Saturday, October 04, 2008, 05:35:11 AM »
This may be old news, but I really haven't followed FO3 that closely, so this is some of the first recent footage I've seen.  It looks great!  VATS seems to be up to the challenge, the visuals seem pretty fluid, and the opening is great.  I mostly just watched it for the opening bit, but the gameplay didn't disappoint.
I'm definitely looking forward to FO3 from BethSoft -- and have been for a long while.

I still wish Van Buren would've gotten finished by BIS first, though...

The big downer there is that DLC will be exclusive to 360 and PC.  That blows.  No reason at all for that.  Why would you give DLC to the fucking console that doesn't have a standard hard disk?  I'm not an idiot so I'll be playing it on my PC, but still.
I smell Microsoft throwing Rockstar money to make DLC exclusive to Windows and 360, myself. I wouldn't be surprised.

Do most 360 owners say bought the 360 with the hard drive? Or have bought the extra HD separately? B/c to me, I think it'll be foolish to have a 360 minus the HD, given the amount of DLC and whatnot available to the gamer.

Oh, has any of the same free DLC content (that have been on Live) been like pressed on magazine discs on anything, for those who don't have Live?

Though they said the same thing about GTAIV for 360, and I don't think we've even seen DLC for it yet, have we?  It makes no sense that they'd cut off a portion of the market, so you have to think that the exclusivity will only last for a short while.
I still wonder if that GTA4 X360 DLC is going to be exactly what the planned GTA4 PC Extra MP content (in the box) will be, if I recall. I think that would be a good bet, myself -- but still, nothing's been made official on GTA4 X360 DLC.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #88 on: Saturday, October 04, 2008, 06:45:04 AM »
I'm definitely getting FO on my PC. I almost expect it to be as modifiable as Oblivion.

Btw, this is a little off topic, I just found out something about the X360 and PS3. Apparently the X360 is region-restricted, if yours is NTSC (North American) you can't play Asian PAL discs on it. However the PS3 is universal. My PS3 is Japanese and I can run European, North American, and Asian titles on it with no issues.

I realize this may not be much of an issue for most people but a friend of mine got his X360 with him from Canada and he pretty much has to get his games shipped or picked up by friends coming from North America.

Anyway, the reason I brought this up in relation to FO3 was regarding the DLC and the different regions. Do you think the DLC will be restricted per region?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #89 on: Saturday, October 04, 2008, 07:04:43 AM »
I'm definitely getting FO on my PC.
As long as the protection is not vicious -- sounds like it probably won't be -- yeah, count me in.

I almost expect it to be as modifiable as Oblivion.
I don't know if it will be, since there's no SDK upon release.
We don't know if and when it's coming, even though BethSoft has said they do want to put one out...

Anyway, the reason I brought this up in relation to FO3 was regarding the DLC and the different regions. Do you think the DLC will be restricted per region?
I hope not.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #90 on: Saturday, October 04, 2008, 09:05:06 PM »
HOLY CRAP.  I just watched all the PAX gameplay videos for this and... holy crap.  I don't think you could possibly have shown me anything to make me want it more.  I also read a bit and watched a couple interviews which explained some things, and so I'm pretty happy with what they set out to do.  The game just looks spectacular.  Watching the gameplay was one of those things where I just had a huge grin on my face way too often, and I'm now very glad I spent the couple extra bucks for "release day shipping" at Amazon.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #91 on: Saturday, October 04, 2008, 10:28:06 PM »
HOLY CRAP.  I just watched all the PAX gameplay videos for this and... holy crap.  I don't think you could possibly have shown me anything to make me want it more.  I also read a bit and watched a couple interviews which explained some things, and so I'm pretty happy with what they set out to do.  The game just looks spectacular.  Watching the gameplay was one of those things where I just had a huge grin on my face way too often, and I'm now very glad I spent the couple extra bucks for "release day shipping" at Amazon.
Oh man, did you see the bit with the explosion seen from Tenpenny Tower? That scene blew me away. It really made me realize the incredible scale of this game!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #92 on: Sunday, October 05, 2008, 12:10:15 AM »
Yeah, that was awesome.  I also absolutely died laughing when he pulled out the railroad gun or whatever it was called, that was firing the huge steel pins and nailed that chick's head to the wall... and those huge gauntlets that were punching people's heads off.  Man I can't wait to get this game.

EDIT - Official site has some funny PA comics.  Well worth the read, heh.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 06, 2008, 10:55:10 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #93 on: Wednesday, October 08, 2008, 06:35:22 AM »
Tim Cain talks about BethSoft's Fallout 3.

He's most definitely looking forward to it.

Tim Cain has Fallout 3 pre-ordered. The designer of Interplay's 1997 RPG masterwork Fallout is looking forward to the release of Bethesda's big budget open world sequel just like the rest of us.

But being involved so intimately with the birth of the Fallout franchise, he's hard-pressed not to analyze Fallout 3's development with a discerning eye.

He said in an interview with Edge on Tuesday, "I do like what I've seen about Fallout 3. I've talked to those guys at Bethesda about it. It's their IP now and they've gone in a certain direction and it's very intriguing.

"It's not necessarily the direction I would've gone, but I can tell you I have my Fallout 3 pre-ordered. I want my life-sized Pip-Boy. I'm going to be playing that at the end of the month."

The game launches on October 28 in North America.

Cain was wary of offering extensive details about what he'd do differently with new Fallout games, but he expressed one basic concern that applies to Fallout 3 and Interplay's proposed Fallout MMO.

"I've hardly thought about [what I'd do different] with Fallout 3," said Cain, "but I have thought about the online version. I've also talked to the guys at Interplay about Fallout Online.

"The biggest problem I have with expanding the game is that the original games were designed to make you feel like you were one of the last people left on Earth. And with Fallout 3 and the online version, I'm curious about how they'll handle making the game not feel too crowded--making it feel like there's not much life left out there after the war."

He said he was interested in the way Bethesda is handling Fallout's "called shots" with the new "V.A.T.S." targeting system. "I like how they did called shots. It's an interesting way of adding called shots to a game that otherwise has real-time combat."

But Cain added that he's still waiting to see how components of Fallout's S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats system translates to Fallout 3's real-time world.

"To be honest, I'm looking forward to Fallout 3 as a consumer, not a developer. I just want to play it and enjoy it," he said.

We'll have more from Cain and his new role as design director at Carbine Studios shortly.

That's Tim, by the way...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Fallout 3 - UPDATE: FO3 has gone GOLD
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday, October 08, 2008, 01:42:56 PM »
Not long now!

I know this is just wishful thinking but I hope it has a minimal amount of bugs upon release.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #97 on: Wednesday, October 08, 2008, 05:13:08 PM »
I read those last night.  Both favorable, though different viewpoints.

Quote from: IRC
<@Quemaqua> Funny, though.  The French mag states explicitly "this totally isn't Oblivion with guns like we thought it'd be", while the Swedes say "No matter what we said before, this TOTALLY is Oblivion with guns".
<@idolminds> hahaha
<@Quemaqua> Both favorable reviews, though, and even the stuff the other guy didn't like he said didn't get in the way so much that he didn't enjoy it.  He hates the voice acting but thinks the dialogue is great and that everything fits with the prior games.
<@Quemaqua> So, as anyone that ever played anything from Bethsoft would expect, it's a great game that sometimes feels a little too much like a game because of the inconsistency of the way they contruct things.  But if you get beyond that (and I got beyond that after Daggerfall, for fuck's sake, over 12 years ago), it's going to be super awesome.
<@Quemaqua> So I'm totally cool with that.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #98 on: Wednesday, October 08, 2008, 05:54:01 PM »
Sweet, the impressions are promising. I expect people who are very familiar with Oblivion are likely to see many resemblances and similarities but not so much so it feels like an elaborate mod. I think it's just Bethesda's 'mechanic' to developing this style.

With these good impressions so far I'm getting really anxious!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday, October 08, 2008, 06:28:42 PM »
I can't wait, either.

Though, one thing -- it has not been stated what the hell the system requirements for this thing will be yet...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #100 on: Wednesday, October 08, 2008, 07:15:46 PM »
Hint: high.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #101 on: Wednesday, October 08, 2008, 07:43:38 PM »
Hint: high.

If it has a double-core as a bare min, I'm screwed -- b/c normally, that's what keeps me from playing a game, these days (see Stranglehold PC and Assassin's Creed PC).

If it doesn't have a double-core for a bare min, then woohoo! Then I'll be okay!

Actually, the only other time I'm screwed, is if Windows Vista's a bare min for a OS -- and well, I doubt that'll be a requirement for FO3, since Microsoft-published Games are the only ones flowing that route (see Halo 2 PC, Shadowrun PC, and Alan Wake PC).

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #102 on: Thursday, October 09, 2008, 12:16:55 AM »
Hit up PreparefortheFuture.com if you haven't already.  I forgot that I was going to check it out, and it's a pretty fun ad for the game.  Worth fiddling with.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #103 on: Thursday, October 09, 2008, 12:53:53 AM »
Channel ten is awesome.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #104 on: Thursday, October 09, 2008, 09:53:33 AM »
Fallout 3 has been leaked and is on torrent sites. Normally not news, but in an odd twist of fate its only the 360 version that's being pirated right now.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #105 on: Thursday, October 09, 2008, 10:00:24 AM »
Fallout 3 has been leaked and is on torrent sites. Normally not news, but in an odd twist of fate its only the 360 version that's being pirated right now.

I read it was pirated.
But wow, the X360 version and not the PC?
Nice twist.
Usually, it's the other way around.

So much for them blaming PC piracy...not yet, anyways...

It's a damn shame it's gettin' pirated...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #106 on: Thursday, October 09, 2008, 10:21:50 AM »
If these actually are the requirements, which are listed on EB, you can easily count me in!

Minimum System Requirements
Operating System :  XP/Vista
Processor :        2.4ghz processor
Video Card:            6800 or x850
RAM :          1GB RAM for XP, 2GB for Vista

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #107 on: Thursday, October 09, 2008, 05:58:46 PM »
Apparently another 15 mins. of footage and some talk with Todd Howard will air on Spike TV at 1AM Friday night.  Or is that 1AM Thursday morning?  Uh...  I don't know.  Either way, looks like there'll be some footage!  It'll be up on Gametrailers after that.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #108 on: Thursday, October 09, 2008, 06:18:22 PM »
Apparently another 15 mins. of footage and some talk with Todd Howard will air on Spike TV at 1AM Friday night.  Or is that 1AM Thursday morning?  Uh...  I don't know.  Either way, looks like there'll be some footage!  It'll be up on Gametrailers after that.
It's Friday 1 a.m.

I have one minor question: will the character creation have FaceGen like Oblivion? I don't recall reading anything about it. It's not a huge issue but it would be nice to have such a vast visual character creator.

I just got my brother interested in Oblivion. He's been playing it a lot over a few weeks now. Although he's playing it like a medieval FPS. After about 12 hours worth of playing I took a peek at his character and realized that not only is every guard on Cyrodiil is after him but he had not level-up once either. He attacked everything in sight. When he sees people in the game he goes hack'n'slash mad! RPGs are generally lost on him, so I just put Painkiller on his system and watched him enjoy the madness. Later I showed him some Fallout 3 videos and he just went "Oblivion with guns! Sweet!!"

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #109 on: Thursday, October 09, 2008, 06:41:43 PM »
Your brother dropped on his head a few too many times as a child?  Hopefully he lives real life a bit more conservatively.

And I don't know why I typed that, I meant to type Friday morning or Saturday morning.  A lot of times they seem to call what would actually be Saturday morning, Friday night, when it comes to scheduling.

Anyway, yeah, FO3 will have a creation system similar to Oblivion.  I think it's going to have less options and be less crazy, since a lot of people felt it was very hard to make someone who didn't look shitty in Oblivion, but there should still be a bunch of options.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #110 on: Thursday, October 09, 2008, 07:40:53 PM »
System requirements are here
Well, everything except the hard drive space requirement.

What are the PC system requirements?

Minimum System Requirements:

* Windows XP/Vista
    * 1GB System RAM (XP)/ 2GB System RAM (Vista)
    * 2.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
    * Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 256MB RAM (NVIDIA 6800 or better/ATI X850 or better)

Recommended System Requirements:

* Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    * 2 GB System RAM
    * NvidiaDirect X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA 8800 series, ATI 3800 series)
    * Supported Video Card Chipsets:

o NVIDIA GeForce 200 series
          o NVIDIA Geforce 9800 series
          o NVIDIA Geforce 9600 series
          o NVIDIA Geforce 8800 series
          o NVIDIA Geforce 8600 series
          o NVIDIA Geforce 8500 series
          o NVIDIA Geforce 8400 series
          o NVIDIA Geforce 7900 series
          o NVIDIA Geforce 7800 series
          o NVIDIA Geforce 7600 series
          o NVIDIA Geforce 7300 series
          o NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
          o ATI HD 4800 series
          o ATI HD 4600 series
          o ATI HD 3800 series
          o ATI HD 3600 series
          o ATI HD 3400 series
          o ATI HD 2900 series
          o ATI HD 2600 series
          o ATI HD 2400 series
          o ATI X1900 series
          o ATI X1800 series
          o ATI X1600 series
          o ATI X1300 series
          o ATI X850 series

EDIT:
System Test is up on YouGamers for FO3

Looks like HD requirements will be 9 GB.
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 09, 2008, 09:17:25 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #111 on: Thursday, October 09, 2008, 07:45:02 PM »
Your brother dropped on his head a few too many times as a child?  Hopefully he lives real life a bit more conservatively.

And I don't know why I typed that, I meant to type Friday morning or Saturday morning.  A lot of times they seem to call what would actually be Saturday morning, Friday night, when it comes to scheduling.

Anyway, yeah, FO3 will have a creation system similar to Oblivion.  I think it's going to have less options and be less crazy, since a lot of people felt it was very hard to make someone who didn't look shitty in Oblivion, but there should still be a bunch of options.
Haha Thank God he's not that bad in real life, although sometimes I wonder :P He's not exactly the diplomatic type :D

The character creation doesn't have to be as sophisticated as the one in Oblivion, just enough to create a character who looks the way I'd like. Having the option to go into more detail would be nice though, like an "Advanced Editing" button or something for the perfectionists.

I wonder what the initiation segment will be like. Y'know how in Morrowind it's arriving on a prison ship then registering and in Oblivion it's escaping the dungeon alongside the Emperor and his Blades. From what I've seen of FO3 so far it might start when you're 10 and about to get your Pipboy installed.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #112 on: Thursday, October 09, 2008, 08:41:39 PM »
Heh, I already know what it is.  But it could and should be considered a spoiler, so read at your own risk.  It would be a nice surprise I think if you didn't know already (though spoilers of this nature have never bothered me personally):

(click to show/hide)

But yeah, I believe the creation system is fairly robust, and there are a lot of visual options you get as you go along too.  I've seen a number of pretty drastically different looking characters.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #113 on: Thursday, October 09, 2008, 08:50:41 PM »
Boy, Que...
(click to show/hide)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #114 on: Friday, October 10, 2008, 01:11:31 AM »
UGO has a Fallout 3 Retrospective which is pretty cool, and is also part of a greater Fallout HQ which has a bunch of shit on it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #115 on: Friday, October 10, 2008, 01:19:27 AM »
PCGUK reviewed FO3 and gave it an 81%

“PC Gamer - I’m going to take the sting out of this review right now. Fallout 3 IS “Oblivion with guns”. Whatever I stated in any earlier issue. So, with that said, there is no going back.”

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/42032/Fallout-3-Reviews

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #116 on: Friday, October 10, 2008, 02:51:09 AM »
Actually, that's not PCGUK, it's PCG Sweden, and I already posted (the essence of) that quote, along the directly-opposed statement from French magazine PC Jeux, who emphatically state how happy they are that it *isn't* Oblivion with guns.

On the one hand I sort of wonder who's right, but on the other hand I totally don't care because I love both Oblivion and the original Fallout games.  And in fact, what I love most about Fallout is the atmosphere and roleplaying, not the combat, which I find tedious and far too inconsistent to ever be considered tactical.  If that's honestly what people are latching onto about Fallout, they wouldn't know a good game if it chewed off their right arm to reduce their melee attack power.  The elements are great, but the combat is far from perfect, and is probably the weak link where the other masterful pieces of the game are concerned.  That said, I think a better-developed game in the vein of the originals, i.e. with grid-based tactical combat, could still be totally awesome, but I think a better-developed Oblivion-style game that fixes some of the problems with the former game would be just as awesome, and that has the added advantage of finally getting Fallout away from the inherent flatness of the isometric perspective.  The verticality of FO3 even just in what we've seen so far has been unbelievably great looking, and to lose that would be to lose a most wonderful evolution in the aesthetic that the original games pioneered.  I wouldn't on any level want to go back.

My guess is that the game is going to be an evolution of Oblivion with guns; I imagine it will feel very similar to Oblivion but will have a much, much improved scaling system (in that only a few things scale, and the world will seem more logical for it), better characters (due to there being less of them), a better story, more variety in locales to explore, vastly improved combat, and way better loot that's more useful, varied, and fun to utilize.  That's the impression I get from things I've read, heard, and seen so far.  But given the fundamental differences between the two franchises, how similar could it really be, anyway?  I mean, you've got an XP-based leveling system entirely different from TES games, the Perk system which has no comparable component in the TES games, a more tactical and meaningful combat system that from all reports from anyone who's played the game is nothing like Oblivion in any respect... well, what's left?  Most likely the way questing works, the way character interaction works, and the general way the world is set up (which is probably a lot like Oblivion, with various hotspots around the map that can be fast-traveled to once explored, and might feel a little patchy in terms of the overall world).  And a lot of that stuff is kind of standard across various RPGs anyway.

Anyway, those are just my ramblings.  It's really late and I'm still up playing the first Fallout, which is truly a masterpiece.  It starts slow, but man does this thing pick up speed as it goes.  I'm a bleary-eyed mess right now, and yet I press on past 3AM...
« Last Edit: Friday, October 10, 2008, 03:12:46 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #117 on: Friday, October 10, 2008, 05:57:36 AM »
Actually, that's not PCGUK, it's PCG Sweden, and I already posted (the essence of) that quote, along the directly-opposed statement from French magazine PC Jeux, who emphatically state how happy they are that it *isn't* Oblivion with guns.

On the one hand I sort of wonder who's right, but on the other hand I totally don't care because I love both Oblivion and the original Fallout games.
I'm with you on this one.

And in fact, what I love most about Fallout is the atmosphere and roleplaying, not the combat, which I find tedious and far too inconsistent to ever be considered tactical.  If that's honestly what people are latching onto about Fallout, they wouldn't know a good game if it chewed off their right arm to reduce their melee attack power.  The elements are great, but the combat is far from perfect, and is probably the weak link where the other masterful pieces of the game are concerned.
To keep combat somewhat fast(er) for FO1 and 2, in the Options menu, I keep the turn-based combat speed somewhere in the middle or above for the old Fallout games. Makes it feel closer to real-time with pause -- even though the game's doing all the pausing for you, since it's turn-based. :P

That said, I think a better-developed game in the vein of the originals, i.e. with grid-based tactical combat, could still be totally awesome, but I think a better-developed Oblivion-style game that fixes some of the problems with the former game would be just as awesome, and that has the added advantage of finally getting Fallout away from the inherent flatness of the isometric perspective.
I think what they could've done it picked up Aurora Engine, an engine like Aurora, or developed an engine like Aurora. What they could've done was had a 3D NWN-style camera set-up -- which is a completely unlocked cam system where you can pan, rotate, spin, zoom in, zoom out, and manipulate it basically anywhere/anyway -- this would pretty much solve the problem of keeping the game isometric.

Also, I would've liked to have seen a Fallout game have a Bioware-style RPG, where it's in real-time with the option pause the combat at anytime to make tactical decisions. This was basically the plan for Van Buren (actually, Van Buren was to give the player the option to have it be in either real-time with pause or turn-based) and Troika's now-canceled Post-Apoc RPG (since Troika's gone).

Of course, for controls, if they so wanted to and felt so inclined, FO3 could've been like NWN games allow -- where even though it's full 3D and in complete 3rd person, you have have the option to play it with the cursors to move around in direct-style mode or just do the KB/mouse click and point routine (which would be like Witcher giving you the option to switch b/t OTS and isometric mode for your cam mode -- which is also what NWN allows, since they both are based off Aurora).

Of course, by doing all this, there might be no way they'd toss in a 1st person mode. Though, given Aurora's power (or engines like it), I'm sure it could be thrown in -- and if there was an extra first person mode tossed in here by the designers in here, you'd now probably be forced to play the game with direct-style mode for controls (a la Oblivion).

See, I think there's a lot BethSoft could've done, if they didn't want to take it the route they are taking in -- which looks to completely alienate the old-school Fallout fans that don't want to be much change in their control-style and camera viewpoints. But, those above style of games I'm dreaming up here that Fallout 3 could've -- that's just not what BethSoft usually makes, so nobody can really expect BethSoft to actually go that route. The above style of Fallout I'm imagining, if it were done that way, would've probably been better put in the hands of Obsidian, Bioware, or (here's a thought!) maybe even CD Projekt. Oh, man that last suggestion -- CD Projekt making a Fallout would be VERY interesting, given the kind of controversy Witcher stirred in many regards, actually...

Regardless of what BethSoft's doing or not doing with Fallout 3, since I am pretty open-minded and do like many styles of gameplay (direct-style a la Oblivion; click-and-point style like say Fallout games; real-time with pause like most of Bioware's RPG games; turn-based like Fallout 1 and 2), I still happen to like a hell of a lot where BethSoft is going with FO3.

The verticality of FO3 even just in what we've seen so far has been unbelievably great looking, and to lose that would be to lose a most wonderful evolution in the aesthetic that the original games pioneered.  I wouldn't on any level want to go back.
That's something I saw in some of the vids. Plus, being thrown into first person, my God. The game is going to feel way more up-close and personal then ever. And yeah -- now, we can actually look up from our perspective (whether in fixed OTS 3rd or 1st)

My guess is that the game is going to be an evolution of Oblivion with guns; I imagine it will feel very similar to Oblivion but will have a much, much improved scaling system (in that only a few things scale, and the world will seem more logical for it), better characters (due to there being less of them), a better story, more variety in locales to explore, vastly improved combat, and way better loot that's more useful, varied, and fun to utilize.  That's the impression I get from things I've read, heard, and seen so far.  But given the fundamental differences between the two franchises, how similar could it really be, anyway?  I mean, you've got an XP-based leveling system entirely different from TES games, the Perk system which has no comparable component in the TES games, a more tactical and meaningful combat system that from all reports from anyone who's played the game is nothing like Oblivion in any respect... well, what's left?  Most likely the way questing works, the way character interaction works, and the general way the world is set up (which is probably a lot like Oblivion, with various hotspots around the map that can be fast-traveled to once explored, and might feel a little patchy in terms of the overall world).  And a lot of that stuff is kind of standard across various RPGs anyway.
I'm agreeing with you on this one, Que. It's going to be more than people calling it straight-up "Oblivion with guns." no, that's just the combat system, fixed viewpoints (1st and 3rd), and direct-style of controls forced on you. They seem to be be doing all this other stuff that Fallout did, which probably was not tackled as much in Oblivion -- ridiculous amounts of consequences and results b/c of your actions and choices. This is one of the best things about Fallout, if you ask me.

Like you said, it's going to be more of an evolution of "Oblivion with guns." Also, I think this is going to be a major evolution for Fallout, especially in terms of having real-time combat and the direct style of controls.

Anyway, those are just my ramblings.  It's really late and I'm still up playing the first Fallout, which is truly a masterpiece.  It starts slow, but man does this thing pick up speed as it goes.  I'm a bleary-eyed mess right now, and yet I press on past 3AM...
I played a lot of Fallout 1 yesterday, as well. I'm just that stoked for BethSoft's FO3. :)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #118 on: Friday, October 10, 2008, 05:58:28 AM »
Whoops!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #119 on: Friday, October 10, 2008, 06:01:11 AM »
Whoops!

One of my longer posts and ramblings in some time, eh? :P

EDIT:
GamaSutra reported that FO3 X360 version has been pirated and how much has been pirated so far.

October 10, 2008

Fallout 3 Already Pirated On Xbox 360 The Xbox 360 version of Bethesda’s Fallout 3 is already available for illegal download on torrent sites, three weeks before the game’s scheduled release.

The eagerly-awaited title recently went gold, which may mean a leak of the game’s code took place at a manufacturing plant.

Although a modified Xbox 360 console is needed in order to play the game, many leading piracy sites indicate that the title has already been downloaded by thousands of users.

Although the level of piracy on the PC has been heavily criticized in recent months, by a number of different publishers, the PC version of Fallout 3 does not yet appear to be available on the same piracy websites.

Nevertheless, Ubisoft commented earlier in the week that PC piracy "cannibalizes" sales of the console version of a game and that releasing a PC version of a title was tantamount to “letting people have a free version that they rip off instead of a purchased version”.
Yeah, so let's see if EndWar gets pirated to holy hell on the 360....
Hope not, but hey, it's happening with FO3 unfortunately.
« Last Edit: Friday, October 10, 2008, 08:11:02 AM by MysterD »